Thursday, March 6, 2008


So, I feel the need to complain. I got really stupid and went to a website to calculate how much weight I should gain during my pregnancy. The results made me want to throw the computer against the wall...not a good option considering its new.

Based on my height and pre-pregnancy weight (which I will not disclose here...if you try to get it out of me chances are I will lie), I am only suppose to gain about 20 lbs. Considering I'm hovering at 15 lbs right now at the end of my second trimester, I really don't see that happening! With M I gained 40 lbs, and it seems I am on track to gain that again (which, no, I am not happy about, but there is only so much you can do!)

So, my question is this: Does anyone really gain just the recommended amount of weight during pregnancy? Is there some alternative world that exists that a persons will only gain a minimal amount of weight and still look all cute and dainty...

Gurr... I think I'm going to get rid of our scale. Better yet, maybe I'll run it over with our car! Once, or twice, or maybe more times...

13 comments:

Katherine Ronachert said...

yeah right! i gained 30 with rj and 45 with rc. i felt that since i was pregnant i had every right to indulge and be happy, because my hormones were all over the place. i deserved to have the happiness called food. also, with m you were on bed rest and retained water because of the blood pressure thing. don't worry. pregnancy is hard and a lot of work! then to take care of a little toddler on top of that! i don't know how you do it!

Nilla said...

Can't speak from experience, but as I've never been small and cute, I would imagine that I will not be a cute pregnant woman. I'll be a ginormous whale-looking lady. I do not anticipate having the problem of only gaining 20 pounds ;). I'll probably be up there at gaining a whole lot more...

Unknown said...

I remember I was really worried about my weight gain with Q. (I gained 60 pounds.) I was frustrated because I felt like I was eating well, and getting my exercise, and my kind doctor said, if you are doing everything you can, then try not to worry about it, maybe your body just needs it! It's just another one of those stinkin' sacrifices a woman has to make to bring in a baby!

Megan said...

Confession: I gained almost 60 pounds when I was pregnant with Bree. Granted, 11 of that was the baby...but still 60 POUNDS! It has taken me a year, but I am now finally back to my pre-pregnancy weight. Although my hips are wider, my belly is flabbier, and all that fun stuff.

Matt's sisters are totally the type of women who come home from the hospital looking like they were never even pregnant. It really drives me nuts, because I had to work really hard to lose most of my weight (although nursing helped quite a bit).

Just remember that what your body is doing right now is a MIRACLE! God intended for us women to go through so much to bring these special spirits to earth. It's so hard, I know. I hated pregnacy. But keep praying and giving your body what it needs (even if its cadbury mini eggs:). You'll haveplenty of time later to lose that weight!

Wow. What a novel!

mel said...

My next baby I am eating whatever I want as a reward for being pregnant. I have done it both ways, eating healthy and exercising and eating chocolate and watching TV. You know what, I gained the SAME amount of weight (40 pounds) with both my girls.

Mrs. S said...

Okay, good...I feel better now. Its good to know I'm not the only one!

Eliza said...

You don't know me... but I found you on Megan N.'s blog... anyway, I just had to comment.

My OBGYN was a weight NAZI ... I only gained 24 pounds when I was pregnant with my son and she said it was still too much, what?? My sis-in-law went to the same OBGYN and she was pregnant with TWINS and she only wanted her to gain a TOTAL of 15 pounds!! ...and no, she wasn't joking.

Whenever baby #2 comes along, I will NOT be going back to that doctor!

Eliza said...

You don't know me... but I found you on Megan N.'s blog... anyway, I just had to comment.

My OBGYN was a weight NAZI ... I only gained 24 pounds when I was pregnant with my son and she said it was still too much, what?? My sis-in-law went to the same OBGYN and she was pregnant with TWINS and she only wanted her to gain a TOTAL of 15 pounds!! ...and no, she wasn't joking.

Whenever baby #2 comes along, I will NOT be going back to that doctor!

Mrs. S said...

Oh my gosh! That's horrible! Its hard enough being pregnant and going through all those "wonderful" changes without having your doctor on your back about your weight! I think your doctor would send me into a depression!

skcoe said...

I gained 42 pounds with Jayden, 30 with Tegan and 22 with Mayci, it's COMPLETELY unpredictable. Don't stress! You're a home to a beautiful baby!!!!!

Wendy Lady said...

Are you kidding? Let's see ... five pregnancies x 40-50 pounds each = nearly 250 pounds of baby weight!

Anonymous said...

It's good to hear all these accounts b/c it is something I really worry about.

Mrs. S said...

I totally understand your fear. Its what I felt too before pregnancy. The good think is though the weight does come off...I just didn't work too hard to get it off after M cause it was so bloody hot over the summer! And the payoff is fantastic! Babies are wonderful. After this one I am going to do a serious reclaim of my body though. After the next one (the last one I'll give birth to...we're gonna look into adoption cause my pregnancies are suicide) I'm going to get a boob job! Small and perky! That's my motivation so I want a cute body to go with my new boobs.

Where are you From???