Thursday, March 27, 2008

Random Thought

The other day my mom called me to tell me she had just gotten an email from one of her son-in-laws (not Mr. N) and was cracking up about it. Apparently this son-in-law isn't the best about scripture reading, but has taken up the challenge to read the Book of Mormon in 97 days in honor of President Hinckley. To be different, though, he is reading it from back to front.
My mom knew this and emailed him to ask how his reading was going. His emailed response was a crack-up.
He said to her, (something to this effect) "Yeah, the reading is going good...but if you think some of those words in the Book of Mormon are hard to pronounce reading front to back, you should try pronouncing them back to front."

11 comments:

Nilla said...

Is this El??? It sounds like him...

Unknown said...

that is silly. but really, does he read the last chapter first, and then the second to the last etc.?

The Silverback said...

In actuality HE ISN'T READING. He only SAID that he was reading, and that is because I am always asking him if he is doing his scripture reading. One time he left his scriptures at church for quite a long time, so I said something like, "So how's that daily reading working out for you?" He laughed. He is really good natured and laid-back and doesn't take offense(even though I AM THE MOTHER-IN-LAW. LOL! I haven't been able to "guilt" him into reading. When I asked him if he was doing the Hinckley Challenge he said, "Yes, but I'm reading the book backwards". So I asked him (in an email) if he had gotten to the part where Alma is teaching Zeezrom about the mysteries of God. I then typed in an email Alma 12:9-10 backwards (without the reference because I didn’t want him to cheat and look it up! NOTE: It's not easy to type scriptures backwards. LOL! He told me on the phone that he didn't have a come back response for my email. But he also said that he DID read the scriptures that I typed (backwards) and then counted it as his scripture reading for that day. LOL. I told him that it must have been hard to decipher and that he could probably count it as TWO days of scripture study.

Rachel said...

the movie is robin hood

Liz Wilcken said...

Movie of the week: Ok, I just watched the animated Robin Hood yesterday with Benjamin, and I know Prince John says, "Seize the Fat One!" about Lady Cluck. Now I know why I was inspired to get that one from the library!

Nilla said...

Arg! I know I know this quote... It seems to me it is from a Disney movie... Why am I so bad at this game!!?? Okay, so thank goodness for my "awesome" (his word, not mine) brother Brad... It's ROBIN HOOD!! I had to give up and get help. But at least I didn't use the internet :). Here's how Brad's mind works: He answered the phone, and all I said was "seize the fat one!" ANd he laughed. ANd I said, "what's that from?" And he goes, "Robin Hood... the animated version." Gotta love my brother...

The Silverback said...

Yes, of course it's El. Who else would fit this profile???

Katherine Ronachert said...

he does read, but it's more like weekly... be prepared for him to come up with a response to this!
oh, the tea leaf,
he reads one chapter at a time. ie mosiah 10, then 9 then 8... i asked him the same question when he told me what he was going to do.

Katherine Ronachert said...

From EL
Well in Ar reading in not as important in school as say learning to de horn a cow or the proper way to castrate a steer. Did you know the the tooth brush was invented in AR. If any other state would have invented it it would have beeen called a teeth brush!
So to correct my wife I actually started at Moroni and read the last book first. I'm in Ether now. Just think for a minute how many times you have been inspired to read the book of mormon and have read "I Nephi being born of goodly parents" and somewere in 2nd Nephi you peter-out usually around the Isaiah versus. I thought it would be great to read some of the books I never get too! The silverbacks emails were great! The last one I had no response for. "I got served!"

Nilla said...

Oh my gosh!!! That whole comment about the toothbrush vs. teethbrush.... That is hilarious...

The Silverback said...

To EL - Maybe the Isaiah chapters will make more sense backwards. In fact, you might solve some mysteries-of-the universe-type questions!! You'll really get the last laugh, huh?!

Where are you From???