So, I have a question. M is becoming a little bit of a picky eater. Sometimes when I make her lunch/dinner, she doesn't want it. Then she's cranky because she's hungry. Right now, when that happens I make her something else to eat. I've been thinking, though, that I don't want to encourage pickyness.
So, what should I do? If she doesn't eat what I make, should I let her get hungry enough until she finally breaks down and eats? I don't want to have to always make her something different to eat.... Some days its like:
PP & J...no
Grilled Cheese...no
Mac & Cheese...score!
There's got to be a better way!

9 comments:
she reminds me so much of great aunt h. such a beautiful baby girl!
well... I don't really have any good advice for you. Bence almost likes everything. But we have days sometimes when he doesn't want those things that I give him. I sometimes give him something else one time... i mean if he doesn't want a mac&cheese i try give him something else. And if he doesn't want that either that is his problem:) I wouldn't try anything else. He will eat later then.
One thing helps us i think. Bence has at least one meal every single day. Something cooked.Usually at the same time every day
well... I don't really have any good advice for you. Bence almost likes everything. But we have days sometimes when he doesn't want those things that I give him. I sometimes give him something else one time... i mean if he doesn't want a mac&cheese i try give him something else. And if he doesn't want that either that is his problem:) I wouldn't try anything else. He will eat later then.
One thing helps us i think. Bence has at least one meal every single day. Something cooked.Usually at the same time every day
Okay, I totally cheated for the movie guess. Because I really stink at this game!!! So, my guess is SIGNS (which I have seen, but I never would have gotten the quote...), but like I said, I cheated, so you don't have to count me :). It's a lot harder being on the end trying to guess the movie quote!
What a great picture! Both pictures, actually! She is beautiful. I love the way that she is inspecting the PB&J. My first thought when I saw the pictures was, "wow! I wonder if they'll clean my face when I'm old and eat like that!?!" LOL. Love, Mama.
well, since we all know, i can't keep my children's faces clean, you're better off with mrs s. lol.
My oldest was and still is a picky eater. A few things that I did was Avery loved animals. So I would encourage her to get a bite like...(A lion) and then you change the animal every time. And also as she got a little older we would put plastic wrap on her food when she wouldn't eat and then when she was really hungry reheat it in the microwave. This was what our DR. told us to do to discourage the picky eating. Now I have my kids help me cook and they want to eat what they have made. I also do shapes using cookie cutters and make faces using fruit and cheese and veggies and things like that.
Well, if you're still looking for advise on picky eating, here's what I figured out after Benjamin didn't eat for a year (do you remember that?). It may sound harsh, but it worked. I'll try to make it brief (which will probably make it sound even meaner!): Milk only at meal times. NO carrying milk around the house (they fill up on the milk then no room for food). Water with snack times (2 snack times a day at the same time each day). Like the others said, just cover the food, then reheat it later. I had a hard time not making something they liked too. But the Dr. and therapist (who helped ben learn to eat) said I'm not his waiter and I shouldn't cater to his tastes. To make things easier on all of us, I also do 1 or 2 kid's night meals a week for dinner, like mac 'n' cheese, hot dogs, etc...(plus it's quick and easy for me to make!) For lunch, I give him an option, do you want pb&j or cheese toast with fruit (since she's still to young to talk, you can just hold a peanut butter jar and a block of cheese in front of her. She knows what they are and which one she wants.)? He picks, we eat it, if he complains, it was his choice. The animal thing works too, or use her favorite characters/stuffed animals to help out. Brian turns them into puppets and makes them want to eat his food. Anyways, you get the picture. Like I said, it probably sounds "mean", but if you saw it in action you probably wouldn't think so. The super hard part is to be constant. Some days you'll just be too tired and want to give in. I know you can do it though! I think the majority of us have to go through this at least once!
Thanks Liz, your comment was very helpful! Like you said, I think the hard thing will be consistency!
Post a Comment