Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Induce or not to Induce?


I've found that this tends to be a topic that people are really opinionated about, but what the heck! At the doctor yesterday, I asked what my chances are of scheduling an induction with this baby. His response was "very good." The idea of choosing my child's birthday is kind of weird, but exciting. I was induced with M for medical reasons, but it was different then. I had gone to the hospital for a non-stress test and they basically said, "Okay, we're going to admit you and start the induction process." Needless to say I was very unprepared. I only had my purse on me and was cursing myself for not eating breakfast. Poor Mr. N ended up having to walk to the hospital (only a couple miles) because I had driven myself.


So, anyways, scheduling an induction date is very appealing to me. I am the kind of personality that I like to know what's going to happen when. I know the argument "the baby will come when he/she is ready..." But I also believe they are adaptable and will make due. With the move coming up and all that jazz...I'd rather just schedule it and be prepared. I loved being induced with M. It was at exactly 39 weeks and my body quickly responded and took over. My water even broke on its own at 4 cm. The soonest my doctor would do it is 39 weeks. We're thinking July 1st as an induction date, which would be just 3 days early. I don't see them doing it on a Friday (the day I turn 39 weeks), and definitely not on the weekend. We'll see though. The doctor won't schedule me until 36 weeks, so there's no immediate rush.




Good luck trying to see something in the ultrasound picture I posted. My ultrasound tech's picture machine is awful! The picture is of the baby's face if you can't figure it out.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

yeah, I was at a 3 when I went in to my last appointment with Q and they said that if he didn't come within the next 2 days, I could be induced, and I was all for it! I don't agree that all babies come when they are ready, I think some are just really content and afraid of change!! Like me, I was 2 weeks late and my mom said they tried to induce her like twice and I wouldn't come! And I was 12 pounds!!! so, anyways... I am all for inducing at appropriate times, and in appropriate ways.

Anonymous said...

Hey. I love inductions. I was induced with three of the four. Yeah for planning! I am a control freak, I know. I failed my glucose test last time too. No fun. Sorry. Love ya! Have a great week.

Katie Rod said...

Is your OB Dr. Dewey? He was mine out there and he also has a really really old ultrasound machine. I think I can make out a forehead and a right cheek on the picture though. And about the inducing...It's so hard to know because some people have amazing experiences with them and some people hate them. If your first one was good, no reason not to do it again! Also, it's nice being able to take a shower, clean up the house, go grocery shopping etc. before you leave for the hospital.

Nat said...

Why wouldn't they induce you on a friday? Especially a Friday morning?

It's weird that you could "choose" your baby's birthdate! I mean, how do you possibly decide if June 29 or June 30 will end up being a better birthdate for your child? It's just funny.

Kristin Hanson said...

I wasn't induced with Little, but I say go for it. I wouldn't have minded an induction, as I hated being pregnant, but she came early enough for me. Dave kept pestering the doctor at each of my weekly appointments to induce me and he finally stopped going because the doctor refused to do it before my due date.

Katherine Ronachert said...

mel had her c section on a friday. so maybe!

skcoe said...

Induce. LOVED IT! Get up, put on make-up, have baby, be cute in the pictures. LOVED IT.

Mrs. S said...

Wow, more people are like me than I thought! I loved being induced with M...even though my stupid epidural didn't take. It was still nice. I LOVE the idea of knowing when to expect this baby. Watch though, I'll schedule the induction and she'll come early or something...

Anonymous said...

You mentioned this topic elicits strong opinions; it's true. I think it's very important for mothers considering elective induction to do their homework, learn the risks, and make an informed decision. Scientifically, there is literally no good reason to induce early. Unless you have a serious medical issue that necessitates induction (and these are rare), early induction exposes you and your baby to a whole host of dangers and side effects.

While it may be appealing to think that labor can be controlled, there are many risks that go along with elective induction. Many doctors have stopped offering elective induction to their patients entirely--with good reason. Studies have shown that mothers who choose to be induced early run a greater risk of cesarean section, vacuum and forceps, and the child ending up in intensive care. There are several reasons for this.

First, the last few days and weeks of pregnancy --while they are uncomfortable for the mother-- are really crucial in the baby's development. For example, the baby's lungs develop and change dramatically in the last two weeks of pregnancy, so babies who are born via early induction run an increased risk of having breathing problems and needing intensive care. This is just one example; there are others.

Secondly, there are a number of side effects associated with Pitocin itself. Some of these side effects have not been substantiated by good research yet (e.g., pitocin's link to autism). Other side effects are well-documented. It is quite clear that pitocin causes longer and more painful contractions, which leads to epidurals (even among mothers who had stated initial preference of avoiding the epidurals). This means that you are hooked up to an IV for the pitocin, confined to the bed and catheterized for the epidural, and being given continual fetal monitoring to track the baby's heartrate. Both pitocin and epidurals, however, dramatically affect the baby's heartrate, so when the baby's heartrate begins to dip (a natural reaction to the drugs), your doctor is likely to tell you your baby is in distress and wheel you in for a c-section. Which is major surgery. And poses a whole list of risks of its own. This process --which begins with pitocin-- is the reason that over one-third of births in America are performed via c-section.

Every mother has to make her own decisions. But for anyone contemplating early induction, here are some sites you might want to visit:

http://www.expectantmothersguide.com/library/pittsburgh/EPGinduction.htm

http://www.childbirth.org/articles/pit.html

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/oxytocin_ad.htm

http://www.birthingnaturally.net/birthplan/intervention/induction/pitocin.html

http://www.birthingnaturally.net/birthplan/intervention/induction/should.html

http://www.pregnancy-info.net/labor_inducing_labor.html

Where are you From???