Monday, April 28, 2008

I Hate Failing Tests

So, I had my 30 week appointment today and found out I failed my Glucose Tolerance Test, which means that yes, I have Gestational Diabetes.
That sucks.
So, now I have to go to a diabetic consultation to find out how to manage it and test my blood 4-5 times a day. I'm really not looking forward to that. It's so much easier to be healthy.
They told me also my chances of delivering 2-3 weeks early are also a lot higher now. Hopefully not too early though because Mr. N doesn't get back from his military deployment until 12 days before my due date, and I really don't want to deliver a baby without him there. I guess it all depends on the baby's health and how fast her lungs develop.
Sigh.
I've decided that my body is not built for pregnancy. My body is built for delivering a baby, but the whole gestational period is torture (either because I'm sick or because of this).

6 comments:

Nilla said...

Just to give you a hopeful silver lining..... My friend is almost done with her pregnancy and she has had GD too. She has stayed well within her range, and that was WITHOUT staying on the prison diet provided for her by the nutritionist. So, just monitor your blood sugar (she said this wasn't bad at all) and you'll know what to do :). And you are almost done!!! 10 more weeks at most!

Nat said...

Ohhhh S. . .that really, really sucks. I'm so sorry. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

On a completely unrelated sidenote, if this means that you now have a lot of sweet/junk food in your house you need to get rid of, I know someone who'd be willing to eat it. . .

Eliza said...

You are not a failure. I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant with my son. (I was a baby of a mother with gestational diabetes which ups your chances of having it by a TON). When they first told me I felt, seriously, like I had somehow failed my baby.

The testing daily really isn't that bad. I was put on a SUPER strict diet (but remember my doctor was the one that didn't want my sis-in-law to gain more than 15 lbs when she was pregnant with TWINS) which was frustrating but the things we mothers do for our children.

It will all be worth it in the end. Also, they all told me I'd have a HUGE baby because of it... he was 7lbs exactly, just perfect. It was nice knowing that I was NOT allowed to go past my due date, so there was a definite end in sight.

Best wishes and you can do it!

Mrs. S said...

I still can't believe 15 lbs for twins! That's insane. Eliza, did you end up going early with GD? Just curious.

Tori Mitchell said...

Oh Steph, dont worry. I know how you feel when your pregnant though. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help anytime. I take my test this week too!

Eliza said...

Sorry...I'm slow to check back... but I went a bit early (not much) I was two days shy of 39 weeks.

Where are you From???