Saturday, February 23, 2008

Names


So we're having a few problems here. Well, one in particular: baby names. With M we talked about names through the whole pregnancy...well...more like I threw names at Mr. N and he either vetoed or approved the names. For some reason he doesn't really like talking about names. Usually is goes something like this:


Me: You know, we have to name this child.

Him: Okay, how about Helga.

Me: No, seriously, we have to at least have a list of names we like!

Him: Yeah...

Me: How about ---

Him: No, it sounds too old fashion

Me: ---

Him: No, I think of an old woman when you say that

Me: ---

Him: No



That's basically as far as we ever get. Last night I just about hog-tied him and made him talk names, but I still think we got no where. We don't really have a theme that I'm set on (As in Bible names - like my sister; or names that start with K - like my sister-in-law, or A,B,C order - like my other sister-in-law). M's name has a Y in it, so in theory I want to do first names containing the letter Y, but at this point I'm getting desperate.

SO, here are our ideas (our is a very loose interpretation...as stated above. Its probably more accurate to say these are the names I keep throwing at him and he doesn't completely hate)

1) Lydia - this is my favorite. It was on my list when we were naming M. With her it was either going to be Noelle, Lydia, or M. We both felt she didn't look like a Noelle, and Mr. N's argument against Lydia was and still is that it is too old fashion. I keep telling him the M's name is also very old. I like this name because it's beautiful, and we both have great-grandmothers named Lydia. He did say last night we could use it as a middle name. So, does that mean we could call her by her middle name.

2) Claryssa (We would call her Clara) - This is a family name on Mr. N's side. Depending on the day he either gives a firm "No" or else says "I guess its not too bad"

3) Lily - this is not a family name, but I just like it. He didn't say yea or nay to this name. I guess that means it's on the list?

4) Hanaiah - (Pronounced H-uh-nay-a) We both like this name, but it's Egyptian, and we're not. We're not quite sure if it fits. No, it doesn't have Y, but like I said before, I'm not set in stone on the whole Y thing.


SO, that's where we stand. I've been through our whole baby book of names, but it really stinks. I've looked a little on line, but haven't found anything. There are just so many names on line! Yikes!

Does anyone have a really good baby name book I can borrow?

Feel free to give name recommendations...just don't be offended if we veto it. Mr. N is very sure of what he doesn't want...just not so sure of what he wants. Is it a man thing? I don't know.

19 comments:

Megan said...

I really love old fashioned names, so N would probably hate all of these. Some of my faves are Molly, Lucy, and Ruby.

Good luck. Matt hated talking about Baby names too.

Mrs. S said...

I like Lucy, but N vetoed that with Little M. I swear we've talked about every name in existence! Its comforting to know Matt didn't like talking names either...at least we're not alone!

Nilla said...

I like Lydia. Obviously it's not my choice, but i like it... It even sounds great with your last name! Which is important ;), at least so says Nilla ;). Loveya and good luck! OH, and i can't believe I didn't get the movie. Wait... Didn't you say they were mystery movies? Or did that say Disney and I Read it wrong EVERY time I read it? I'm going to go check... I'm such a spazz...

Nilla said...

Okay, you totally can't laugh at me... I thought "mystery" was italicized because that was the genre from which you were selecting your movies!!! You know, like Elka and the musicals... Good grief. I really am a spazz. I'm sure several people out there are laughing... And I KNOW Elka is...

Nilla said...

Oh, and let me guess on the new quote... Is it "Two Weeks' Notice"?

Mrs. S said...

Nilla, you're like a one man band...yes I'm laughing!

Katherine Ronachert said...

erin brokovich (sp?)

Katherine Ronachert said...

i keep saying it goes back to genetics, and the fact that probably everyone in our family is laughing? yeah, we're not normal, but at least we are happy!

Kristin Hanson said...

I really Abigail/Abby, Whitney, and Kathryn. Dave did the same thing with boy's names - it was so aggravating. We finally picked Graham while watching 'the holiday'.

Katherine Ronachert said...

ooo, i really like all those names! especially the last one! i totally bet mr n will go for it!

Katherine Ronachert said...

nilla's good friend is going to name her baby girl, shayla, which i think is pretty.

Anonymous said...

I like Molly but then you'll have people calling her Molly Mormon. With Molly you'd have both the "M" and the "Y" thing going on.

Nilla said...

She's going to name her Shayla Kathryn. So how about that? Haha :). That's 2 Y's ;).

Katherine Ronachert said...

another girl in our ward's name is meridian. i think that is really pretty and has a nice conotation (ie christ being born in the meridian of time)

Mrs. S said...

Meridian...no. I prefer names to words for names. Shayla is cute, but there's already a cousin named Kayla, and so I don't really want to do that. There's already a Kamber and Kymber on that side too...and if we get too many rhyming names we'll have to write a Dr. Sues book.

Katherine Ronachert said...

at least it's a good way to tie families together! ;)

mel said...

That is so freaky that you like Y's in the first name. That was part of the reason that I picked my girls first names. I think Lydia is pretty and I don't think it is old fashioned. Besides, these days ANYTHING goes. Here are some girl names with Y that are in our ward: Rally, Navy, Delaney, Kyler, Caitlyn, Jayne. Here are a few that are in our neighborhood since we are over run with girls. Wren, Lannah, Maelee, Bailee, Kallie, Nora, Olivia, Ellie, Emma, Brooklyn, and Lindy.

Anonymous said...

How about Joy Lorrayne? It sounds good with your last name.

Wendy Lady said...

Naming children seems to always be a challenge, especially AGREEING on a name! I love Lydia, particularly since it is a family name.

Where are you From???