Monday, April 20, 2009

Thank Heavens for Grandma

Today was a scary day. M and I returned home from the store today (Baby L stayed home with my mom) and I found my mom feeding Baby L a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I about had a heart-attack. She had misunderstood me yesterday when I told her we had given Baby L a piece of bread with butter and jam. She thought I had said peanut butter and jam. Well, there was no reaction, I educated my mom (who felt terrible!), called the pediatrician to be sure everything was okay, and we went back to our busy day. We joked that my mom had tried to kill poor Baby L. She really did enjoy the peanut butter sandwich before I ripped it out of her hand...
Later in the afternoon today my mom saved Baby L's life. I was giving M some of her Easter candy and she shared some Smarties with Baby L. I was doing dishes and all of the sudden I heard this...noise. I can't even describe it. I turned around and realized Baby L was choking. I turned her over and tried swiping her mouth, pounding on her back, and whatever else I could do to get it out. I yelled for my mom who ran upstairs and swiped her mouth and out came 3 Smarties. It was all very scary. Poor Baby L was very scared too. Her face was really cold...I don't know if that had something to do with choking...but after she could breath again she just nuzzled her head into me and whimpered.
Thank heavens Grandma was home.

5 comments:

beapinkal said...

Wow- what a day. Sorry that all these things happened today. I was just thinking about you a lot today. Especially because it was a really hot day and when we went out i put sunscreen on and that smell reminded me when we went out and played in the pool or when we went to the big pool. I really miss you guys. Do you think you guys ever come back??? Maybe for a visit???? Say hi to your sweet family.

Nilla said...

So glad it is all okay!! That sounds terrifying!

Nat said...

Scary! So glad L is okay! I had a dream about M last night. Really miss you guys!!

Unknown said...

That was scary! So glad she's okay.

FRYBABY said...

Good thing your mom used to be a volunteer EMT or was it an ambulance driver??? Whatever it was she still knows what she is doing (except for maybe the peanut butter:)........hum....as I recall, I gave my grandson some peanut butter AND corn syrup mixed together and he broke out in hives!!
Love from all of us!!!
Michele

Where are you From???