Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Liberating

A few weeks ago (maybe longer) I blogged about giving up watching Private Practice, Grey's Anatomy & Secret Life. I'd been contemplating doing so for a while, but finally got so disgusted that I gave it up. Originally I thought I could keep up with the stories on line, but I worried that it would tempt me to watch them again. Then I heard a fireside talk by...someone...a lady who spoke with Sherri L. Dew...and she was talking about turning a corner and not looking back (i.e. when you make changes in your life, forsake them totally and don't look back). She referenced Lot's wife (does anyone know that reference...I think it's around Genesis 19-ish) and said "So unless you want to become a pillar in your community, don't look back." I felt that was sound advice and thought I should heed it. What I didn't expect from this experience, is that after the first week of not watching those shows, I felt oddly liberated. It was like I felt lighter...not having been bogged down by the trash presented as acceptable in television. As I said before, I hadn't anticipated that. I've noticed a small change in my life for the better. I have more time on those nights, I tend to go to bed earlier, and I feel cleaner.
Seriously, why do we hang on to the things that aren't good for us? You would think after 20-something years (almost thirty!), serving a mission, being a mother....all that stuff, you would think I would just choose the right in the face of all those decisions. Yet I find myself just as subject to justification. I wish I would always make the best choices. I try. I make mistakes. Oh wait, I'm human!
Anyways, moments like this reaffirm to me that the Prophets and Apostles do know what they're talking about! It's one of those, "wow, that little decision did make quite a difference" moments.
And, on a totally unrelated note, unless you've had your head buried in the sand on some obscure island, you've seen this video. I love it! I don't follow American Idol (or the British counterpart), but it is really nice to see the cynical, crabby Simon in a different light. We don't get enough uplifting, nice stuff on TV anymore.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I loved that video... apparently I have been living with my head in the sand, because I'd never seen it! I was so moved by her voice.
I commend you for your liberating change! I love those kind of changes.

Marisa Jean said...

We all have stuff we struggle with--not saying it's okay, but we do. Good for you for standing up and trying to resist that temptation.

Mrs. S said...

Nah, maybe that video hasn't been all over the news like out here! I swear I've seen it a ton, but I really loved it!

TD Quong said...

Thanks. That was a good post. It makes me think of King Lamoni (?? pretty sure it starts with an L) who said he would give up all his sins to know Christ (it's somewhere in the BOM). Sometimes I think I CLING to my sins and refuse to give them up. I think making small decisions and changes can really make a big difference, and I love that you shared your experience. Thank you.

Where are you From???