Monday, May 5, 2008

Moving...



So, we are preparing to move. We are 99.9 percent sure we are going to New York, even though we haven't heard back from Italy yet. We would be moving probably the middle of August, that way I can finish up with my doctor here (i.e. six week post-partum visit) before the move. We are pretty much selling all our big stuff. The couches are already claimed, which is good and bad. I LOVE our couches, and am so sad to see them go. They were our first big purchase that we saved up for and somehow that has made them special to me, but it is good to know they are going to a good home! So the bed, entertainment center, dressers, and kitchen table will all go. We are taking M's crib. We will be taking the majority of our kitchen stuff (its just WAY too expensive to replace), clothes, and whatever other small stuff we need.




Did I mention we will be living with my parents for at least the first school year? That's why we're unloading so much stuff...




It's going to be such a pain in the neck to rebuild though. Ugh!




So, does anyone have advice on a good/inexpensive moving company? Mr. N is thinking we will just rent a trailer thing from Uhaul and hook that on the Camry. Oh yeah, does anyone want to buy our Corolla?




The plan right now is that our wonderful neighbors will help us move. Mr. N and Mike were mission buddies, and they've claimed the privilege of being godparents to M, whatever being a Mormon Godparent entails.... Anyways, Mike is from NY and they were planning to go back there in August to visit anyways, so the plan is that Natasha will fly with me and the two babies to Philly or Newark, and Mike and Mr. N will make the drive. M is not a good traveler in the car, and then having to stop every 3 hours with a newborn to feed her....it would take way too long.



Since this is our first big move, we were wondering if anyone had advice on a good moving company, what to watch out for, anything. We're kind of doing this blind, and it is a bit scary. Exciting, but scary.


Thanks everyone!

10 comments:

Nilla said...

Moving is a hassle. I guess we will both be moving (albeit in opposite directions!) around the same time! Imagine that! Ka told me that when El was looking into it, he found that Penske was cheaper and better than U-Haul. You could ask him for the details, since I don't know them.

Eliza said...

We are moving from Utah to Georgia at the end of July... we found the cheapest route for us was to use ABF moving. Check out http://www.abf.com It was cheaper than U-haul (and that's BEFORE you factor in the cost of gas, hotels, etc. that would be required if you did a u-haul) and you don't even have to drive it. You load your portion of stuff in the ABF truck (that carries other commercial goods in a walled off section of the truck) and they drive it to your destination for you where you then unload it yourself. So much less stressful!!!

Good luck with everything.

Nat said...

Can we buy your kitchen table? I always thought it was very pretty. . .

Nat said...

Oh, and, is the movie. . .um. . crap, I can't remember the name of it. . .Tevya. . .they're all Jewish. . .there's a fiddler on the roof. . .OH! FIDDLER ON THE ROOF!

Marisa Jean said...

Jonathan and I are moving as soon as possible. WE are most likely purchasing a home and don't have ANY furniture to put inside. So, depending on what size your entertainment center is, we might be able to purchase that from you. Maybe you could post or email me a picture? Good luck with the move. I hate moving. Right now we're packing up and it's killing me. Ug.

Mrs. S said...

About the kitchen table, yes you can buy it...the only thing is I was going to ask about $150 for it. It isn't even a year old, is solid wood, and still has two chairs in the box from RC Willey. We got it for $300, so I figure half is fair...well more than fair considering the age. And the entertainment center, yes I can send or post a picture for you Marisa. It's nothing fantastic, but i like it. I'll have to hunt down a tape measure to get the measurements. If you decide you want it, let me know when! P.S. I hate moving too!!!

Mrs. S said...

About the kitchen table, yes you can buy it...the only thing is I was going to ask about $150 for it. It isn't even a year old, is solid wood, and still has two chairs in the box from RC Willey. We got it for $300, so I figure half is fair...well more than fair considering the age. And the entertainment center, yes I can send or post a picture for you Marisa. It's nothing fantastic, but i like it. I'll have to hunt down a tape measure to get the measurements. If you decide you want it, let me know when! P.S. I hate moving too!!!

Jennifer said...

We used Penske. It was much cheaper than Uhaul. It worked out good for us! Moving does stink, though. Plus we had to keep everything in boxes besides the necessities for the first 3 months while we lived with my brother. Is that what you'll do with your parents? My only advice is to take your time packing. Be as organized as you can. And don't throw anything away or sell anything that you think you might want later. You might regret it!! Good luck! Also...M looks so cute in those pictures from thanksgiving point. She looks great in yellow!

Alan and Jeni said...

Are you guys still in Utah? We will be moving to the midwest in August, so it might be an option for us to share a truck. That would surely save some money! Alan would be willing to do the driving. Let us know if you are interested (jeni615@hotmail.com).
- Jeni

Andy and Jessica said...

Hey Stephanie-

Good luck with the move! I just wanted to let you know that you should be getting a computer cord soon at your current address (sorry about that!). Let me know if you don't get it. Good luck with everything :)

Jessica

Where are you From???