Sunday, May 18, 2008

Chocolate is a Girl's Best Friend!


This was the birthday cake Mr. N wanted for his birthday, but I wasn't able to get the recipe in time. We opted instead to make the cake for Mother's Day, which we celebrated yesterday due to our bout with the stomach flu last week. It was a 4 layer cake with a truffle kind of chocolate in between each layer, and frosted with a ganache at the end. A lot of work, but VERY good.



I actually started the cake Saturday (that is baked the cake part on Saturday), and we finished it together Sunday Morning. Our stink'n church doesn't start until 1 pm so we always have a ton of time before church. Sometimes I feel like we wait all day for church to start, and when we get home the day is over. Anyways, back to the cake. Mr. N did a really good job cutting the layers. I tried cutting one...it didn't turn out so well...



Once our little girl figured out we were dealing with chocolate, she wouldn't take no for an answer. And really, what's wrong with chocolate for breakfast every once and a while!



Check out the pig tails. She slept in them the night before.



I think she thought we'd been holding out on her all this time! Who knew there were such tasty things in the world!





The cake was great! We took it to Lorie Jo's for our belated Mother's Day celebration. Terry grilled steaks and asparagus, Lorie Jo made baked beans and her amazing rolls, and we brought a cabbage salad and the mother of all chocolate cakes. It was a good meal. I'm disappointed though I never took a "final" picture. Oh well, it was GOOD!

12 comments:

Taralou said...

OH MY GOSH Stefanie -- I am so glad you got Sister Manchester's Chocolate Cake Recipe from your mom or Katherine!!! Until I saw your blog this morning-- I totally forgot you asked me to email you the recipe for Neal's birthday! I am VERY sorry I didn't get it to you for Neal's birthday -- I completely spaced it with Kami's birth and everything else going on here. It's been such a busy few months!!

It looks like Neal had a fun time making it...and M tasting it (ha ha)! I'm glad you had an enjoyable night with Lorie Jo and Terry! Happy Belated Mother's Day!

beapinkal said...

YES...that final picture! Next time when you make it take a pictur because i want to see the end:) Oh and one more thing!!!I LOVED LOVED LOVED your sunday dress! Usually i don't like maternity dresses but that was way cute. Where did you buy it?

Mrs. S said...

Tara, don't worry about it! I feel busy enough with one baby and another on the way...I can't imagine 5! We ended up making Neal's second favorite for his birthday...the butterfinger cake with carmel and cool whip. He was very happy with it. We ended up having a lot of fun making it as a family.

Mrs. S said...

Bea, thanks! I actaully borrowed the dress, but its from the motherhood store. I don't know if its a "last season" dress, but it was nice. My maternity clothes wardrobe is seriously lacking!

Taralou said...

Yes, I remember that Neal likes the Butterfinger cake. I'm glad he got that cake on his birthday. Thanks for taking good care of him!!

I'm glad your family had fun making the cake -- it's such a great recipe! I really miss Sister Manchester! She is AMAZING!!!!

Katherine Ronachert said...

how fun!

Lauren Davison said...

So, all this talk of cake recipes is making me want cake. Is there anyway I could get those recipes from you? The four layer ultra-crazy one and the butterfinger one?? PAHA. Thanks! (And a premeditated thanks from Kirby, too...)

Nilla said...

Okay, so I love the pics of M. She looks like she is loving that chocolate (and who can blame her?). And it also looks like she had a really good sleep, by the looks of that one pig tail. Too adorable!

Liz Wilcken said...

That looks sooo good! I admit I sometimes each chocolates first thing in the morning when my kids aren't looking!

Unknown said...

yay chocolate! That looked amazing! M looked cute with her new best friend. I love chocolate for breakfast.

Unknown said...

oh... and is the movie Cars?

Nat said...

If Lauren gets to have the recipe, can I have it too? Even though you've already given me like 50 recipes? When you guys move away I am SERIOUSLY going to miss your cooking, second only to you guys yourselves!

Where are you From???