Sunday, July 12, 2009

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back...


So, last year after Baby L was born my mom bought Mr. N and I new scriptures. They are the small ones and have a seperate Book of Mormon and Bible. Unfortunately since they had just started printing them that way (Triple & Bible versus a Quad), the only colors they had were black. I was concerned we would mix them up, but we had our names printed on them and I thought all was well.


During the first year of Baby L's life I haven't studied my scriptures like I should have. I've read them, but I haven't made much headway into marking them and, in a sense, "breaking them in." The pages are relatively blank. A few weeks ago I decided to start highlighting my favorite scriptures and so forth to make some headway in the "breaking them in" department. It's felt nice to do so, and Mr. N even decided to start marking his scriptures too. He had a really cool system of marking his scriptures that he developed while he was on his mission that involves drawing little pictures depicting what is happening in various versus/chapters. He made fun of my system of just highlighting versus in a red pencil because he said there was no real rhyme or reason to it and you couldn't tell. Yes, I know he's right and his system is actually really neat, but my little system of marking everything in red works for me, so I'm happy with it. So, for several nights I've been marking my scriptures. I've been very happy with the progress I've been making and have even written in little notes with references and cross-references...


Can you tell where this is going yet???


So at church last Sunday Mr. N came up to me and said, "I have a bone to pick with you..." Oh crap. was my knee-jerk reaction. All that scripture marking I've been doing...as it turns out about half the nights I was marking his scriptures and not mine. whoops! I seriously don't know how that happened. My best night of marking where I put in more effort than any other night.... Yeah, that was done in his scriptures. Understandably he is humorously annoyed; as am I. It is actually really funny situation, but really annoying too. He's got to erase his scriptures now and I need to remark mine. I'm all for just keeping his triple combination for my own, but he thinks that will create more problems that it will solve. I'll probably forget which is mine...the bible with his name on it or the triple with his name on it and then end up marking up another one of his books. So he'll be attempting to erase my red markings and I'll have to get to work remarking mine. They're not as broken in as I thought!

3 comments:

Katie Rod said...

Ha! That's funny. When we got married, I liked Tom's scriptures better than mine (and vice versa) so we just switched. Kind of weird how things work out like that sometimes!

Unknown said...

Oh Man!! Way to go for being so diligent.

Eliza said...

Oops!

I'm more of a red highlight kind of girl myself. I've tried to implement systems in the past but I never found one that really worked for me.

...and I need to do WAY better with scripture reading + studying. It's actually pretty sad that I slack off as much as I do.

Where are you From???