Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Our Ward Garden


Our bishop announced a month or so ago that the needs of the members in the area was significantly more than previous years. He said that the Bishop's Storehouse distributed as much aid in the first quarter of 2009 as had been distributed in all of 2008!!! Yikes. As a result the Stake asked our ward (and I imagine other wards in the stake) to build a garden to help meet the needs of our members. It has become a major project for our ward. We're lucky to have quite a bit of land behind the church building that is not in use (and the church owns it).




Members went out and removed sod, brought in dirt, set up the different gardens, made pathways, and who know what else.



Mr. N has been there to help almost every time. He's so good about that kind of stuff. I only went this past Saturday while we all planted. Each organization got their own garden. The Elders Quorum, Relief Society, Young Women, Young Men, Primary... I don't know what the Elders Quorum choose to plant, but I thought it was hysterical when I heard that all the Young Men had chosen to plant were various kinds of Peppers, mostly the HOT peppers. They claimed they wanted to make Salsa. That's so typical! The Relief Society did an herb garden. I don't know about the primary either.



This is our Bishop.


After all the planting was done, the watering started. The kids had a blast with the watering. M wasn't the only one who ended up soaking wet!



Baby L wasn't too thrilled with the ward activity. I think she was a little disturbed by all the stuff going on. I had to hold her most of the time to keep her happy, so there wasn't much I could do. She was so funny crawling in the grass because she didn't want to crawl on her knees. It was a lot of fun, and I'm glad the girls got a chance to participate in the service project!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think that garden is a great idea!!! Cute pics.. Oh, and the movie... Bourne Identity.

Marisa Jean said...

I think this is one of the best ideas I've ever seen a stake come up with. I wish we had the kind of garden.

Where are you From???