Friday, January 16, 2009

Wilton


A big thing in the E family (i.e. the family Mr. N grew up in) was the birthday cake. Mr. N's mom would make them a special birthday cake. I've seen Mr. N's siblings carry on this tradition with their own children. I love this tradition, but I know nothing about cake decorating! Well, here in our town of all places, there is a lady who moved here from New York who is a Wilton Cake Decorating Instructor. Mr. N and I have talked about it and he really wants me to learn how to decorate cakes (I really want to learn to). So for Christmas we decided I'd take classes from this lady to learn.




I had my first class last Friday and it was really fun. I did really well too, which was surprising! Most of it was pretty easy.





The stars were easy, but the shells were a little bit more of a pain. Here are these shells that I did. It's getting a lot better with practice. (I hate the icing color!)



Zig-zags...easy!







Ah, the rose. This part frustrated me to no end! I didn't take pictures of the ones I did in class, but I came home and was showingMr. N what I learned, and don't you know on his first time he produced a better rose than me! I still haven't done one this good! That's what I get for marrying an artist...







These are two of mine that I did yesterday. I'm actually having a hard time getting the frosting to the right consistency. My next class is today so I hope I can fix some of the problems I'm having with them.




I made my first cake too! M's birthday is on February 7th, so I wanted to practice. I got this cake pan from my grandma. The mouse was actually just a ball, but I thought it would be cuter if I turned it into a mouse. I stripped the inside of the bag with food coloring to see how it would turn out on the cat. That's why you can see red in the frosting on the cat's fur. I'm not sure if I like it. My mom did. Maybe if I did a more complementary color... It looks kind of cool...like shading. M like the cake. She loved eating the "Kitty".




It wasn't too bad for a first attempt. If you look at the mouse's tail you can see where M touched it. I'll keep you updated on what I'm learning!

7 comments:

Taralou said...

movie -- Sleeping Beauty?

Taralou said...

Looks fun!! I'm glad you are enjoying your class. :-)

Katherine Ronachert said...

that looks awesome! great job! i only do fantastic cupcakes! :)

Nilla said...

This is AWESOME! Okay, so Neal's rose looks great! I can't believe he'd never done it before! And yours don't look bad either. And the cake! Wow! you did a great job! I am not entirely sure I have that kind of patience! And you know... Until you pointed out the red in the icing, I didn't even notice it. It just looked normal to me, I guess. And the mouse looked great too! Did you free-hand that? You do have talent!

Jolene said...

Welcome to the world of cake decorating....but mine were always fairly simple. I think your cake looked great. Tell Neal his rose was "perfection" ha, ha. HE does strive for perfection in his creations.

Liz Wilcken said...

That's funny about the cell phones. Your cake is amazing. I could never do it.

LJB said...

Cake decorating is a lot of fun, and see I kept telling you it wasn't that hard, it's just TIME CONSUMING! But nothing tastes better than a cake with homemade frosting! Your kitty cake looks great! I look forward to seeing Madelyn's birthday cake! Have you picked out which one you're going to do??

Where are you From???