When I got married I thought that each progressive year (as far as money was concerned) we would be better off. Today I was thinking about Christmas presents. That's what brought this on. Our first Christmas as a married couple we spent something like $150 each on each other. It was really fun, shopping for things we thought the other would enjoy. Mr. N has always been a really good gift giver. He has a good idea of what I like. I guess I really don't hesitate to tell him what I like either. Maybe that's it. I usually tell him what I would like and not like because I figure he's not a mind reader and he usually doesn't pick up on subtle hints about gifts. "Hey Mr. N, I want [item] for Christmas" usually works well for us. If I'm disappointed on Christmas morning, it's my fault, not his. Anyways, Our first Christmas as a married couple (we were married December 28th, so at our first Christmas we had almost been married a year) we spent about $150 on each other. The next Christmas I was pregnant with Little M and very sick from the pregnancy. Consequently I missed a lot of work and funds were tighter. We spent about $100 each on each other that year. Last Christmas I was pregnant with Baby L and only Mr. N was working. Funds were surprisingly even tighter, and we agreed to spend $50 each on each other. This year were are in even worse shape (though thankfully I am not pregnant!) and so we've actually agreed to not give gifts to each other. Thanks to family, (i.e. my dad [who happens to have nothing better to do with his money than spoil his 4 grandchildren with books, DVD's, and puzzles] and our cousin gift exchange on the Esplin side) the girls will be getting gifts. We figure they are still (Baby L for sure) too young to know any better. Sure, there are things I'd like to get, but I'm finding I don't need much. Maybe that has to do with the fact that we sold 90 % of our belongings to move out east so Mr. N could attend art school... Somehow not being burdened down with things is liberating. Who knows. I've decided to do a virtual wish list here though. The things I'd like to get/give...
My Wish List
Nikon D3x...or something like that. I haven't really taken the time to really research cameras, but I'd really love a professional grade camera (and lessons on how to use that camera) that puts all others to shame.
I'd really like some simple diamond studs. I'm not a huge jewelery person. I generally wear my gold hoops from Mr. N (a gift 2 Christmases ago), my watch, and my engagement ring. Occasionally I also wear my CTR ring, which looks like a thick wedding band. All yellow gold. The prongs of my engagement ring are white gold because supposedly the yellow gold prongs make the diamond look yellowish. That's why I want white gold diamond studs.
A piano, complete with lessons!
For Mr. N

Citizen Calibre 8700 Perpetual Calendar Stainless - Blue Face (Model # BL8000-54L)
Mr. N has wanted this watch for several years now, and I so want to give it to him. If only we had $350 lying around! Mr. N's used a great Swiss Army watch his sister Tara gave him years ago for a long time. He really loved that watch, but it finally gave out on him and he's been watch-less for several months now. I would love to get him this watch!!!

Italy. I would love to take Mr. N to Italy so he could see the magnificent art work by the masters there. I know that is one of his dreams. I wish we could do that so much!
If you really know Mr. N, you know he loves labs. He would love a lab puppy, but we need a place for it...
A handcrafted Grandfather Clock from Germany. Mr. N and his family lived in Germany for several years and he would love to have one of these clocks in our home one day.
For Us...
I would love to go on a cruise together! An Alaskan cruise! I think it sounds amazing. Just the two of us... The plan is to fly to Vegas and leave the kids with Mr. N's amazing mother, then fly to wherever to go on our cruise. We'll see. Eventually I hope!
For M
M has always loved music and dancing. I know she's young, but I know she'd love to attend some kind of dance/motion class. Not necessarily ballet. She just loves dance! I think she would really enjoy it.
11 comments:
Nice wish list. I would love diamond studs, too. And isn't it funny how the longer you are married the less money you seem to have? We have opted for the no gift policy for each other this year too because with traveling, gas and groceries, there just isn't a whole lot of extra money! Plus, we just bought a new computer, so that was our Christmas present to ourselves, I guess.
elf!
It's good to know we're not the only ones! Have a great christmas!
I want diamond earings too! Round cut studs. Man. I know I'll never get it, but it's a nice wish.
I love this post- Jason and I did the same thing- we started around $200 our first Christmas, and this year we're down to $50- guess I'll gear up for the no gifts next year!
I love your lists- good gifts for someday!
Yep, Mike and I are in the same boat. Gradually spending less and less for Christmas. . .this year is especially tight since he lost his job. Good thing we've been really treating ourselves the last couple years! We really don't need anything. . .
I guess Elf for the movie!
I think alot of people are in the same situation this year! With the economy the way it is! I know we have really scaled back on gifts for the kids; & Terry and I are not exchanging gifts this year. At first it was disappointing, but it's given me the chance to really concentrate on the true meaning of Christmas--Christ's birth! I have felt a difference this year in the atmosphere in our home, there's less fighting, less "wanting", less Santa letter writing and more talk of Christ.
That's the Grinch Who Stole Christmas
the movie is How the Grinch Stole Christmas. I like that the movies are holiday themed because it helps narrow it down!
I put $30 away each month for Christmas, which gives me, oh about $300 for presents. It's one less dinner out, a few less movie rentals, etc. and that money's there to spend come Christmas time. Works for me, but then again, we have a 'steady' (albeit meager) income these days.
Post a Comment