Friday, October 10, 2008

They are sleeping in the same Room at Last!

(in this pic M is wanting to watch Jungle Book for about the millionth time!)

For a while now I have wanted to put both girls in the same room to sleep, but have really worried about it. "What if one wakes the other up???" because, after all, Baby L still gets up at night to eat. I have felt in my heart of hearts that the girls really could do it. I've just been too much of a chicken to do so.

Baby L has been sleeping in the computer room since we got to NJ. This has been a bit of a headache because the computer room has been off limits after 7 pm, or if my mom needed the computer we just kept Baby L up until the room vacated.

My sister is coming into town tonight with her hubby and 2 kids, so the time for drastic measure has come. Two options were before me:

1. Put baby L in our room (not the greatest option because she wakes up easily if you go in and out of the room a lot and Mr. N wakes up at 4:45 am every morning to go to school)

2. Put the girls in the same room.

So, I went for it! Monday night (or was it Tuesday...) was the first night. Initially I put them down in separate rooms (they both go down at 7 pm), and after an hour when both were nice and asleep I moved Baby L into the pack n' play in M's room. I had set the monitor up and everything, so I felt totally prepared.

Everything went good. I woke up at 3 am to go to the bathroom and marveled that I hadn't heard so much as a peep from the girls! I decided to go in and check on them and both were silently awake, baby L was quietly fussing. I picked her up to feed her and M started crying. Mr. N stepped in and got her a drink and snack (she still had her horrible cold). It was then that I realized I had the baby monitor on the wrong channel! Ooops! Little M had played with the monitor prior to going down... So maybe that was the reason I hadn't heard a peep out of them.

I corrected that problem, but my confidence was shaken. I put baby L in the computer room to sleep for the rest of the night.

Tuesday night was a similar circumstance (except the monitor was working). I chickened out after feeding baby L and left her in the computer room, but it wasn't necessary. She went right to bed and M never woke up the whole night.

Having seen that M wasn't disturbed at all by Baby L Tuesday night and that baby L went immediately to sleep after eating, I decided I would do it for the whole night on Wednesday. They did great. M never woke up, Baby L woke up, fussed, ate, and went back to sleep without disturbing her sister.

Last night was the same!

I'm so happy they are finally sleeping in the same room together!!! I'm so proud of them. When M wakes up in the morning (usually before the baby) I go and get her and she points at her sister and says "Baby? Shhhhh...." She's such a big girl!
(I still initially put them down in separate rooms. That will be the next step sometime in the future).

I knew they could do it! What a blessing. I'm so proud of those little girls!

3 comments:

Liz Wilcken said...

Ok, i've only seen clips of this movie, never seen the whole thing, is it Goonies?

Nilla said...

That's great news! ANd great that they are both such excellent sleepers!

Movie guess: The Goonies (only one of the most awesome movies EVER!)

Tracey said...

Congratulations! I really need to do this with William and Bryson, but am scared to do it.

Where are you From???