Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Preparing for Winter


Cousins.



A large portion of summer time in my parents house is dedicated to preparation for winter. My parents have a wood burning stove, so all summer my mom and dad gather wood and then split the wood with their splitter. They save a ton of money not having to use the electric heat. My sister and her husband are in town right now for the Philadelphia 3 Day walk for Breast Cancer. My sister and her friend are walking and her husband is going to be on the crew helping the walkers. With the extra help in town, we all undertook the task of splitting wood for my dad while he was at work.





My sister and her husband did more work than the rest of us. I mainly stacked the wood, kept an eye on the kids and documented the occasion. My mom ran the splitter while my sister positioned the wood (I took over running the splitter later, but I didn't really want to do it because I didn't want to be responsible for cutting off one of my sister's fingers).





My sister's husband cut the wood to "regulation size" (as my dad would call it) so it would fit in the splitter to be cut.





Check out all that wood in the back ground!





I found the kids doing a big no-no. Playing on the pool cover that is. There's no danger of them falling through because it's one of those safety covers that is bolted into the cement that supposedly you can drive a car onto, but still. It's a big no-no. If my dad had seen this he would have had a heart attack.









Here's M's new Smile face. So cute! So where was baby L during this time...


Sleeping. Isn't she a doll.

2 comments:

Wendy Lady said...

Wow! What a lot of work. It's awesome that you all work so well together.

Katie Rod said...

Ah...I love those sleeping pictures. They help remind moms of happy times, I think. Also, that is an amazing amount of firewood. Good work!

Where are you From???