Monday, October 8, 2007

Sixty for Susan



Last year my aunt was diagnosed with stage 3C Breast Cancer. She had always had her yearly mammogram...and I think it was 6 months after her last mammogram (which was clean) that she felt the bump. She went to the doctor and was diagnosed with stage 3C. Stage 4 is pretty much terminal. At one point she was told by a doctor that her cancer was stage 4. She didn't believe him and went to another doctor. He rediagnosed her with Stage 3C. She underwent the most rigorous form of treatment available and through it all I never heard her complain! Even when I, or my mom, or my sister would call to see how she was doing, she never complained and always asked how we were doing. After undergoing 2 rounds of chemotherapy and them intense radiation, her scans came back clean! She was cancer free. The great thing about Aunt Sue is that she fought hard.



She fought like a Girl!



And she won!




This is my Aunt Sue. She is one of my favorite people in the world.



In tribute to my Aunt, my mom and sister walked in a SIXTY mile walk for Breast Cancer! Isn't that amazing!




This is My sister's shirt




This is my mom and Aunt Sue


I ran 10 miles once when I was in cross-country and my feet killed!



Anyways, I am so proud of them!



The camped in pink tents! What a site!




This was the camp site...what a sea of PINK




This was their tent


Twenty miles a day.





They walked all day. My mom said the second day was the hardest. Her feet were so blistered she could barely walk. My sister's feet were in pretty poor condition too.


On the last day she cried the last 3 miles. My mom and sister said that there were so many wonderful people cheering them on the whole way.





During closing ceremonies, the workers for the walk when into the stadium first in their gray shirts. After that the 2,000 or so walkers went into the stadium in white shirts. Lastly and most important, all the survivors of breast cancer came into the stadium. My mom and sister said that all the walkers took off a shoe and held it up in the air in tribute to the survivors of breast cancer. How amazing is that!





Having someone so dear to me experience such a deadly disease has really opened my eyes to breast cancer awareness.



I take my hat off to my mom and sister who walked 60 miles.




Their poor feet...



I take my hat off more importantly to all the women (And my Aunt Susan) who have battled breast cancer.

No comments:

Where are you From???