Monday, October 29, 2007

Infertility and Adoption

This is a really random blog, but if anyone knows someone who is dealing with infertility or adoption, my cousin's blog, The R House, would be really informative to read. She was a school teacher, so is an excellent writer. It is, of course her personal family blog, so there is lots about their life. There are some excellent blogs about their struggle with adoption.
Both my cousin and his wife are infertile, and they just adopted a beautiful little boy this past May (I think). She did 3 interviews with mommycast, (a national internet based radio station. See mommycast shows #230, #199, and #198), about domestic adoption. Those links are also on her blog under the "r interviews" section. She has some fantastic site links and article links on her blog about adoption, what adoptive and birth parents go through, domestic adoption, infertility.... Its a good place to visit even if you want to read/listen to (via mommycast) their story.
I completely recommend listing to the mommycast interviews. They opened my eyes to a whole world I had never contemplated. Listening to their struggle brought me to tears many times. Mr. N and I are fertile. We have a beautiful daughter that took only 2 months to conceive. We have never known the heartache that numerous couples go through.
On her second mommycast broadcast, she talked about what it was like to be in the birth mother's recovery room (they had an open adoption) after the birth of their son. There's the birth mother, her mom, her friends, the baby she just gave birth to, and then the adoptive parents. Where did they fit in the picture? The adoption took place in Maryland, and people outside of Utah are not as open-minded to adoption. My cousin and his wife were treated very rudely by most of the doctors and nurses. They had nurses telling them that the birth mom could change her mind at anytime, and that they weren't necessarily going to get baby Tyson. There was anguish and heartache on both sides. Their struggle is one I have never known.
The interviews are long...about an hour each, but completely worth the time!
I heard once that biological children come from your stomach, and adopted children come from your heart. After listening to their story, I belive it!

No comments:

Where are you From???