Thursday, November 8, 2007

Bottles

Little M takes a bottle. She always has. I never did the whole wait 2 weeks or 6 weeks, or whatever it was before introducing a bottle. Honestly it was mainly out of paranoia. Little M was starting to go a little yellow (jaundice) right before we left the hospital. I was on serious overload emotionally and totally overwhelmed with the prospect of caring for a newborn. I also knew that milk proteins combined with the bilirubin particles and flushed them out of a baby's body, thus preventing jaundice. I also knew that my milk had not come in yet. I was so paranoid about Little M becoming jaundice that she got the occasional bottle. She didn't get jaundice and I didn't have a break-down from nerves. It worked for us.
SO anyways, that is a really long introduction into this blog...
The nipples on the bottles come in different stages: stage 1 (slow flow), stage 2 (medium flow), stage 3 (fast flow), etc. We've only ever used the 3, but there are more.
As Little M got older, we introduced the faster flowing nipples.
She did great with stage one and she did well with the stage 3. We only had 1 stage 2 nipple and for some reason she would always choke when she drank from that nipple. We'd have to sit her up every few sips to help her breath and catch her breath. I never understood it.
She has used that nipple for months...like maybe 5 months and always had the same result. Finally, last week I was giving her a bottle and she starting choking. I knew immediately it had to be the stage 2 nipple. Sure enough, it was. Frustrated, I put Little M down and went to change it. Before returning to my perfect little baby, I cleaned the stage 2 nipple. To clean out the pointy part, I stuck my pinky in...and this is what happened....




This of course is a pen, not my finger...but my finger went right through it! All that time, the tip had been broken or ripped...or whatever! Our poor baby must have been drowning every time she drank from it! It must have been like Niagara Falls! I felt HORRIBLE...I still kind of do.
It now is resting in peace somewhere in a Utah landfill.

1 comment:

Katherine Ronachert said...

now that is a good story!!! poor baby!

Where are you From???