Wednesday, November 14, 2007

A Bad Decision...

Several weeks ago we gave Little M scrambled eggs...before I knew that eggs were one of those foods babies shouldn't eat until after a year.
Whoops.
Fortunately, she did fine with them and didn't have any kind of a reaction. At her 9 month appointment I learned about my mistake and felt like a fool. The doctor said she should be okay with them because she didn't react before, but that its better to avoid them until a year. So, yesterday we had scrambled eggs again. Little M was trying desperately to get some (this girl loves to eat!). We went back and forth with whether or not we should give them to her. Mr. N's sister said her babies loved scrambled eggs at her age.... The doctor said she should be okay...
So we gave her a little bit. Within 30 minutes the signs of an allergic reaction were starting to show. Within an hour she had full-blown hives! I felt horrible (I seem to say that a lot...). Our poor baby was covered in hives. They went away that evening thanks to Benadryl!
So, note to self...no eggs before age 1.

1 comment:

Megan said...

That's weird that the first time she had no reaction, and the second time she got hives! Don't feel bad...us moms do stuff like that all the time. It's a good thing they are too small to remember:)

Where are you From???