Saturday, February 7, 2009

How Time Passes



I can't believe M is 2. So much time has passed, and yet it feels like no time has passed at all. Today I decorated a birthday cake for M. Her party isn't until next Saturday, but I wanted to make sure we had a little celebration for her today and open presents from her grandparents and friends. By this evening M was singing "Happy Birthday" all by her self. She loved the attention. We did an under the sea cake for today. It turned out pretty cute. It was a lot of fun to make, just really time consuming. Notice how my "octopus" is actually a septapus. I didn't catch that until I was all done and everything cleaned up. All those years of schooling and I still can't count!









Aside from the girls and I all having colds (L is the worst), it was a great day. We played, sang, and laughed. The weather was so nice we decided to go outside and wait for dad to get home (Mr. N had drill today). I was changing M into play clothes when she coughed. I told her she was coughing (or explained what a cough was) and she started doing it for fun (or pretend). Then she coughed and belched at the same time (so it was really loud). She was a little shocked and really coughed a few more times after that. If you know M, you know she has a really strong gag-reflex. With all the coughing and burping, she suddenly vomited spectacularly all over me. It was terrible! Since I was already covered, I tried to take the brunt of it and avoid as much as possible getting it on the carpet. I wasn't that successful. Covered head to toe (literally) in uck, M and I made our way to the Bathroom to clean up. That is how Mr. N found us when he got home. Poor guy! M wasn't sick, she just gaged.



After that eventful moment, a load of laundry, and a shower things went back to normal. Dinner took forever so we opted for cake, ice cream and presents first. M LOVED it. As I suspected, she didn't eat dinner after filling up on cake and ice cream. Oh well, it was her birthday!
Here's the video of us singing Happy Birthday. My mom had this awful electronic candle that played happy birthday. It was so high pitched you could hear Max barking in the background. M got embarrassed and hid while we were singing.
















This is M's preferred method of eating ice cream. Her face is the "this is cold" face.

After cake and ice cream came presents. We got M a Mermaid barbie and...

Underwear. I thought she would be excited that they had Ariel on them...but apparently getting underwear for a present is an ingrained response. She held them up (as pictured) and looked at them like "are you serious?" No interest there.

Natasha and Mike got M this box of dress up stuff. She LOVED the shoes.

This video is M trying to walk in heels for the first time. I still crack up watching it. Every time she ran into something she would say "Oh!" really daintily. We were all laughing. The best was Mr. N saying "She's gonna break her ankle."

Isn't she adorable!

Here's a video of M opening her Raggedy Anne.

And this was my favorite present. I have been looking forward to this gift for 2 years!!! Mr. N's mom makes all her grandchildren a homemade Raggedy Anne (or Raggedy Andy) doll for their second birthday. M saw her and said "Snow Man!" Close. She loves her new doll.

She even has her name stitched on the back! Thank you so much Jolene! The doll is absolutely beautiful!!!

Happy Birthday M!

8 comments:

LJB said...

Happy Birthday Madelyn! Sorry we missed singing to you yesterday! We were thinking of you all day! The kids had fun watching the videos of your birthday! Aren't Grandma's Raggedy Ann dolls the BEST!

Love,
Uncle Terry, Aunt LJ, & Alyssa & Braden

Nat said...

That movie of her hiding during "Happy Birthday" is hilarious! Mike and I had to watch it several times before we stopped laughing!

OH and the cake looks AMAZING!! Great job!

Marisa Jean said...

That cake looks delicious and SSSOO cute! Glad the birthday was great!

Carolyn said...

I love her dress up clothes! So cute! Happy Birthday Madelyn!

Melanie said...

She's so grown up! Happy Birthday, Little M- and what an adorable cake!

Unknown said...

Love the cake! Great job!

Jolene said...

I'm glad you like your doll even if you think it is a snowman. Thank you for taking pictures, my camera was broken so I didn't have a chance to get one before I sent it. Boy, two years old what a fun age for child and parents.

Nilla said...

That cake looks awesome! You did a great job (even if the octopus was lacking a limb ;)). And Maddy looks like she's grown a lot just in a few months!!!

Where are you From???