Saturday, September 6, 2008

Our Little Bruiser


M has always been such a sweet little girl. She is also very independent. She wants to do everything by herself. She loves her babies (both her sister and baby dolls), books, blocks, and other toys.


As a mother, I've always wondered how she would do as she gets older and gradually joins society. These first little steps are through things like visiting friends, play groups with other moms and nursery at church. She's done really well. Normal things like fighting over toys happen and overall she does really well. One thing I worry about is if she will be picked on and how she would take it. I realize that that is more of a worry for the future...but still I think about it.



Well, in our last church ward in Utah M did great. All the kids were so sweet and her age (within a few months, one exception). Here in NJ she is in a nursery with other 18 month olds to 3 years. Some of the older 3 year old boys are bullies to the other kids. M has refused to go to nursery by herself since we've moved here, so we've had the chance to observe her in nursery more closely than ever before. We've been surprised by how she has responded to being pushed around. It's funny to watch how she responds to being bullied. You can see this instant fire in her eyes ignite, she drops what she's doing and goes and pushes these boys back (who are easily a head and shoulders taller than her) and says "No!". She really doesn't take any stuff from anyone. The funniest thing is that the other day she had a mosquito on her arm so I quickly slapped it so it didn't bite her. She drew in a shocked breath and looked at me, then hit me back. Considering the circumstances it was really funny. I tried to explain to her that she wasn't in trouble, it was just a mosquito. I also explained to her not to hit...



We are (and have been) working with her on hitting and pushing. It's good to see that she won't let anyone push her around. She goes after them. It's hard though...we don't want her to hit or push, but we also don't want her to get bullied or be a tattle-tail. Right now when she goes after those two boys we get her and talk to her about not hitting. Hopefully she learns what's right. Its so hard to know how to teach effectively!

Side note: I know I've been blogging a lot about M lately and not baby L. That's not on purpose...it's just how things have worked out I guess. Baby L is doing excellent. She is still such a good baby. Very laid back. She tends to be really sleepy in the mornings and so happy when she's awake. Then in the late afternoon (4 pm-ish) she gets really fussy until 7 pm-ish. At about 7:30 pm she'll go down to sleep for the night and sleep until about 4 am. She eats, and then sleeps until 7 or 8 am when she wakes up and starts her day. Its really nice to be able to get in some decent sleep and actually feel rested! If you know me, you know I LOVE routine. I like schedules, knowing what I'm going to be doing, and knowing that when my kids go down for the night the sleep. Maybe that's why brand new newborns are so difficult for me (in that regard). I'm so happy things are settling. Lydia isn't quite as routine as M was at her age, but its still somewhat of a routine so I'm happy. Lydia is also taking an interest in M! Its really fun to see her smiling at her sister when M comes up to give her hugs and kisses (which is all the time! M would hug and kiss her "bebe" all day if she could!). Baby L just watches her and smiles at her. The other day I turned my back on the girls when L was in her bouncy chair and I turned back to find M practically laying on L hugging her. I pulled M off and found baby L underneath with the biggest smile on her face! She obviously didn't mind!

4 comments:

Bea said...

Oh so cute stories you guys! M is so pretty on these pictures! And little L is growing so fast! I was similing through the story how M protected herself from those boys! You know i think it is a good thing that she is not a crying girl when someone pushes her. I wish I could see Bence as he protect himself:)But you know him... M should of teach him how to be brave!!!! We miss you guys! Last week when Bence was getting ready for church he told me that he's going to be in nursery and he told me all the kids name who'll be there. And then finally he said Maddy is gone!!! It was cute! He still remembers her and he knows who she is when we check your blog!

Liz Wilcken said...

k, i was going to totally guess "sweet home alabama" the first time, but I don't remember any mosquito part!

Unknown said...

What cute pictures. and so nice that L is on such a nice schedule! So cute that M is so tough and can hold her own. I love the mosquito story. I agree it can be quite difficult to teach kids how to not hit etc. But sometimes I think it's good for the bullies to get knocked around a little. (like Quincey for example... he's bully)

Kristin Hanson said...

We miss you, too! I can't believe how big M and L are getting. You're right - L will quickly surpass Evie on the weight scale. My poor tall thin child. I only hope it lasts for her ;) By the way, I'm still working on your skirt. I'll get it done soon, I promise!

Where are you From???