Friday, September 19, 2008

My Worst Nightmare

My worst nightmare happened today. I think I'm safe in saying this is Mr. N's worst nightmare as well. I was in the backyard with Little M and we were walking all around the yard. My parents have a pool, so whenever we're outside we have to be 100% attentive to Little M. So, we were walking laps around the pool, which is one of Little M's favorite things to do.
It happened so fast! Before I even registered what happened, Little M leaned over (The only thing I can guess is that she was trying to let her baby doll touch the water) and plunged head first in the pool. My heart sank. I was right next to her, but it was one of those moments where a million things happen in a very short period of time. I was shocked as I saw her plunge head first in the water. I was surprised that she sank right to the bottom. Luckily we were on the shallow end. I don't want to think about the other option.... I didn't want to jump in after her...what if I jumped on her and knocked the air out of her! I didn't want to jump a ways away from her and run to her...you really can't move fast in water! I went flat on my belly and reached in and grabbed her foot and pulled her straight up with my one arm until her head came out. The position I was in wasn't the best. I'm not very strong so I didn't have the strength to pull her straight up and out. I pulled her up till her head came out and she had the most fearful look on her face looking right at me. I had to shift my weight to get her out, which involved me letting her head dip slightly back into the water, and then I pulled her out. This all happened very fast.
Second one: She fell in
Second two: I was down on my stomach pulling her out
Second three: She was out and in my arms.
A very tiny bit of water came out of her nose and she coughed and cried, but she was fine. I had to pound on her back a bit to help clear the water. After letting out a tremendous belch she started breathing completely normally and cried a lot. I was horrified, but so grateful I was right there. I remember registering "oh no! She's leaning over the pool!" and then she was in! It was SO FAST! I've heard a million times people say "It happened so fast.", and it really is true. We went inside and took a warm bath and she was fine. Poor baby. Every night I have nightmares about something happening to one of my children and not being fast enough to help them. Those are the only dreams I have. It's awful, and today one of them happened. I'm just so grateful I was there. Parents have to be SO CAREFUL! It's not worth it to not be. Little M's completely fine. Her shoes are probably ruined, but that's nothing. I'm banged up. I think I somehow mildly twisted my ankle in the process and strained a few muscles. My arm and back muscles are aching. I'm also scratched up from the cement. No biggie.
On a lighter note I decided to try trimming my eyebrows and it wasn't successful. One of them looks really good, but I trimmed way too close on the arch of the other one. When Mr. N got home that night I asked him, "So, do my eyebrows look bad?"
It was so funny. He looked at me and said, "Yeah, what did you do to them?!?" It's a good thing I'm not sensitive about thinks like eyebrows! I started laughing and told him the story. Since then my mom taught me to use an eyebrow pencil and you can't tell. Hopefully next time is more successful!

15 comments:

Katie Rod said...

How freaky. That is ultimately my worst nightmare. I can't even watch television shows where babies get hurt or are in the hospital--it's just too heart-wrenching. Thank heavens it was in the shallow end and that she is going to be fine.

On a lighter note, I feel for you with your eyebrow situation. I am very, very, very particular about my own and if too many hairs are short, gone or whatever, I kind of have a melt-down! But, I also love those eyebrow pencils. Little pieces of heaven, aren't they? And at least your hubby tells you the truth (I guess!).

Katie Rod said...

oh and for the movie, I would have to guess transformers

LJB said...

How scarey! I am so glad you were right there with little M. Quick thinking and fast reflexes saved the day!

Nilla said...

So glad everything is okay! Wow! Glad you were right there!

Side note 1: Thanks for the tag :). It'll give me something to post so I don't get "yelled" at for not blogging :).

Side note 2: Movie guess is Transformers (the new one)?

Eliza said...

Oh scary, I'm SO glad that little M was alright and this story had a happy ending!!!!

Nat said...

I just about had a heart attack reading this post!! I am so glad M is okay! Those kind of things really do happen in the blink of an eye. I bet it'll be a relief when the pool is covered and you don't have to worry about it til next year.

Taralou said...

Sorry to hear about the pool incident --SCARY! Glad everyone is okay.

Josh says the movie is Transformers. :-)

Jennifer said...

First, I love your blog layout. Second, that is definitely a nightmare. I think I would have dove in but I found your reasoning to be pretty smart. At first when I was reading I was afraid that you were going to have baby L in your arms, too. That really would have been a nightmare. I had a similar thing happen to me a few weeks ago and it was the scariest thing of my life. Of course, kids aren't even phased...Kate wanted to get right back into the pool! I love hearing how your family is doing. I really miss you guys!

beapinkal said...

Oh boy Stefanie! It was scary just reading it!!! I'm glad little M. is fine! And i hope never going to happen anything like that! We miss you guys!

Megan said...

Oh my goodness! Isn't it amazing that you were able to think clearly enough to know not to jump right in...I think I wouldn't have been as smart as your were to just reach in and grab her! I'm so glad shes ok!!!

Unknown said...

So scary!! I am glad everything is okay.

Wendy Lady said...

I think my heart just stopped. I am so fearful of water that I'm afraid I'd panic and freeze in such a situation. You were truly blessed to be there and so quick to take action.

Katherine Ronachert said...

horrible! i know exactly how you felt!
but i did laugh outright at the tremendous belch and eyebrow thing!

Anonymous said...

Oh hon! That is truely terrifying! I have always had this feeling that something bad would happen to one of my kids, so I am a freak about their safety, but really, it is almost impossible to be TOO careful. I am so glad she is okay. You are super mom! So glad you were there to save the day! Take care. Count down those last days until it is too cold and the pool gets covered (I hope). :-)

Carolyn said...

Glad you were there! Great job on getting her out! I know you'll be so relieved when the pool is covered.

Where are you From???