I decided several weeks ago to start potty training M. She has shown a definite interest in toileting. She tells us when she's stinky and doesn't like to sit in a dirty diaper, so we decided to start training...though I admit we're not doing it aggressively. She is really good about telling us when she needs to go "stinkies" (I plan to master that first before moving on to peeing). We sit her on her the potty and she'll sit there for a while, but doesn't actually go potty. I try to always give her a fruit snack when she sits on the potty as a reward which has helped her not be as afraid of sitting up there. Only one time did she get a tiny little thing out in the potty. She usually wants to get off when she really feels it coming. I haven't wanted to traumatize her by making her sit there when she doesn't want to, so I take her off and put a diaper back on. Once she's back in the diaper she goes poo. Sigh...
We also got her a new baby that can go potty like she does.
Meet baby Isabel.
We've sat Isabel on the potty and I've shown M how Isabel goes potty just like she does (or should!). She really likes that. She loves having baby Isabel go potty.
So, other than the one time M let a little something out on the potty, we haven't had much success. That one time she got really wide eyes and gasped, unsure. I congratulated her and told her what a good job she'd done and when we got off the potty showed her and told her good job. I don't know if it clicked though. That was yesterday. Any suggestions from mom's who've succeeded at potty training?
Extra Pics:

9 comments:
my v.t. taught me just to keep them in panties all day. yeah, you're gonna have a lot of accidents, but you'll get used to it (keep lysol on hand). After they have an accident, have them run to the potty and sit even if only for a short while. I really recommend NOT using pull-ups. They feel the same as diapers, and I think they confuse kids. Anyways, it takes a lot of patience, but just remember to listen to the Spirit's guidance. I was reading last night in my scripture study not to rely on man, but on God. He knows our kids better than we ever will :) Good luck!
I like the idea of the doll that goes potty! Sounds like she is getting the hang of it.
Coincidentally, check out this blog on the very same topic!
http://rocksinmydryer.typepad.com/shannon/
I know I posted about Leah using the potty a few months ago, but when she started saying "no" when I asked her if she wanted to sit on it, I packed it up and put it away. She's not ready yet, I'm not in a huge rush- it sounds like quite an undertaking! Good luck!
Looks like you're off to a great start though! She's at least probably making the association! Good luck! I know it will be a wonderful thing in more ways than one when she's potty-trained!!
I don't have any potty suggestions, but I just wanted to say how darling your girls are! So cute! I miss you guys:)
Your girls are so cute! Good luck with the potty training! It's so much fun. I've got to start trying to potty train my little guy soon.
I have a blog. It's an invite only blog, so if you send me your email address I'd love to send you an invite to mine. My email address is amandashabana@yahoo.com.
I agree with the panties all day and no pull ups. I gave my girls a magna doodle to draw with when they sat on the potty or books which they both loved. BE CONSISTENT! Don't give up. By the 3rd day I always wanted to put it off until some other day but with both of my girls, the 4th day was magic. Good Luck!
Ah, yes ... potty training is such a joy, especially when it's done and over with. I love baby Isabel. I always thought it was really cool to have a doll who could drink a bottle and go potty.
Such cute, cute girls!
I have always waited until they were REALLY READY. So far, all my kids have been completely potty trained within a week of starting, but my kids were a lot older than M -- they have all been at least 2 1/2 years old (Kenny was a little over 3!!!). Kymber has been showing signs of interest, so we've been introducing the idea a little, but I don't think she is completely ready yet. The younger they are, the more work for the parent... I guess I am just lazy so I wait. Ha ha! Good luck!
Post a Comment