Saturday, August 30, 2008

One Huge Bass


Wouldn't you know he didn't take a camera!


Last Saturday my dad decided to go deep sea fishing and asked Mr. N is he wanted to come along. Mr. N had never been deep sea fishing and had only been fishing a few times, but decided to go. So they got up at the crack of dawn and drove to Brielle, NJ to catch a boat out to sea.


The joke of the family is that my dad goes out deep sea fishing several times a year and never catches anything big enough to keep. Everyone who goes with him catches.


So, in keeping with tradition, my dad caught nothing big enough to keep and a bunch of sting rays which were of course thrown back and Mr. N caught a 6 1/4 lb Sea Bass! Apparently this was a really big deal because it wasn't even sea bass season. Mr. N said everyone on the boat came to see him catch, they took his picture and the guy driving the boat said it was the biggest bass he'd ever seen. Supposedly they are going to email us the picture, but that hasn't happened yet. Wouldn't you know I didn't send him with the camera!!!


Mr. N even made their newspaper out there, but no picture! Wahoo. They gave him credit for catching 5 flukes too which wasn't the case. I bet the guy who caught the flukes was mad about not getting credit.


If you want to read the article yourself, click here. FYI: It took a while for it to load on my computer.


My dad said that they called Mr. N "the hero of the boat" that day for getting the most impressive catch. A lot of the men on the boat said that would be a really good catch for the people who pay $140-ish to go out deep sea fishing on a big liner that specializes in catching sea bass. I was totally impressed.



The next day we cooked the bass (I used this recipe that I found online...AMAZING!). It was SO GOOD! I'd never had fresh fish before, and there is no comparison! There was enough fish on that fish to feed 4 adults (me, Mr. N, mom & dad) and Little M. It was sooooo good.


Way to go Mr. N!!!

3 comments:

The Silverback said...

It was a good fish

LJB said...

Wow, pretty impressive! But then again you have always been able to "out fish" everybody! Remember you and Terry's fishing excursions!

Esplin Fine Prints said...

Yeah, I do remember. Stef says I must have a nack for fishing

Where are you From???