I've struggled with posting this post for a long time. My main reasons are that I don't want to seem like I'm trying to draw attention to myself... I'm much more comfortable being out of the spotlight, yet I do get frustrated by a natural lack of understanding for why I'm so sick right now. Most likely
I'm pregnant and I'm sick...and there's a reasons other than morning sickness.
I have a condition called Hyperemesis Gravidarum. It's like morning sickness on steroids.
Here's what it says on a Hyperemesis website:
"Hyperemesis gravidarum (HG) is a severe form of nausea and vomiting in pregnancy. It is generally described as unrelenting, excessive pregnancy-related nausea and/or vomiting that prevents adequate intake of food and fluids. If severe and/or inadequately treated, it is typically associated with:
loss of greater than 5% of pre-pregnancy body weight (usually over 10%)
dehydration and production of ketones
nutritional deficiencies
metabolic imbalances
difficulty with daily activities"
With my first pregnancy, I got really bad really fast. I was so sick, but the doctors had a certain list (for lack of a better word) of medications going from mild in strength to super-strong for nausea they went down before giving me the big guns that finally worked.
I took some special B6 medication that did nothing, Phenogrin, some other medications I can't remember, and then finally they gave me Zofran, a Chemotherapy drug that finally worked...at least making life manageable.
With this pregnancy I am responding better to the medication than with Little M's pregnancy. Maybe its because I pretty much demanded zofran from the start and told them the other stuff was a waste of time and money... I don't know. I am on the medication 24 hours a day. That is why I can go out in public and appear normal at times! :)
But to give you an idea of what its like, without the medication I would throw up anywhere from 10-20 times a day for the entire pregnancy. It doesn't matter if I eat or drink. I have no control over it. It is awful.
With the medication I throw up about 2 times a day for the entire pregnancy. Manageable. We've come to accept that its just the way it is for us. Mr. N doesn't come to check on me anymore when I throw up because it happens so often. There's just no point. I still have nausea every day. Some times are worse than others. I have good days and bad days, and good hours and bad hours. Its just our life right now. Last week they started me on a new medication to treat my esophagus because it is so torn up from the vomiting. Hopefully that won't be permanent.
I'm usually not this open with people outside my family about this. Its just...I don't know...embarrassing. I'm not trying to seek people's pity. This is just something a lot of people don't know about.
What's very hard now for me is the realization that it will be this way for every pregnancy. With that comes the realization that I will not have as many children as we hoped. We have always wanted a large family. Six was a good number for us. I still hoped for six after M was born because I had the hope that the sickness was a one time thing. Now I know it isn't. I am barely able to care for Little M right now, and the thought of doing this again with 2 children just doesn't seem possible. I've kind of been in mourning over that. I feel like I've lost one of my life's goals, and it's very hard for me. I also feel like I've let Mr. N down. He would never say that to me, but I still feel that way. We're thinking that maybe I'll give birth to three children...but this may be our last child born to us. We're considering adoption for the future. Maybe then we'll have 3 or 4 kids.
I would love to be healthy now. I would love to remember what healthy feels like. I would love to have normal pregnancies with normal morning sickness. My whole life I've wanted to be a mother. It makes me sad that I won't have as many children as I want, and envious of those who will. I know, envy is bad. I'm working on it. I can have children though, and for that I am grateful.
I really did not post this to get people to feel bad for me. If you do I'll just get embarrassed. I just thought it might be good for people to know. Knowledge is power.

11 comments:
Although I cannot in any way understand exactly what you are going through (and it sounds awful by the way, no pity intended), I do understand the disappointment that comes when having to face certain realities that do not coincide with what you once dreamed. I also understand the feeling of envy. We're human. So don't feel guilty for feeling those things. In case you do ;). Even though it's probably not likely, I still hope your sickness will become milder (and who knows... maybe it will become milder with each pregnancy?). Lots of love!
Thanks. I always feel guilty for feeling envious or jealous...like I know I shouldn't feel that way, but do. Its good to know I'm not alone!!!
I'm so sorry that you are having such a hard time. Don't worry about feeling guilty...it's a waste of energy. We're all in this life boat together, so don't be afraid to ask for a listening ear and an understanding heart. Love you tons! Mama
Dear S!
I wish i could help somehow. I was just crying as i was reading your post. And i thought that everyone has their own problem to deal with. Heavenly Father wants us to learn something from these experiences we just really don't know what:)One day we'll all know what was God's purpose with all of our trials.
Love
That sucks big time. That's really all I can offer. Although I can't pretend I don't like the benefit of being able to watch M more than I would otherwise. :)
Girl, you are amazing! Need I say more!
If I was still living there, I would love to help you. Hang in there. We'll be praying for you. Little M is darling. She's looking so old and grown up! I love all your new videos. She is quite the giggler!
I'm so sad to hear of your dilemma. I remember when you ended up in the emergency room last time for dehydration. Though you have cause to mourn, just remember to love the children you are able to have with all your heart. Who knows what the future may bring ... medical science is always finding answers to problems every day. Keep the faith and know we love you.
i agree with wendylady. don't mourn that loss yet. so much for my "all in the head" theory! the silver lining is it's only nine months! love ya tons!
Wow- that does not sound like something I would wish on anyone! I'm always impressed with how well put together you look, at any rate.
Don't forget Mommies Night Out on Thursday! Check out my blog for details! Hope to see you there!
Thanks to everyone for your comments. I was amazed and grateful for the outpouring of support.
Post a Comment