Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. I've gained a greater appreciation for Thanksgiving after being pregnant--and consequently sick to my stomach-- through two successive Thanksgivings dinners. It's rather depressing to look at an absolutely beautiful Thanksgiving dinner and realize that you're certain to hurl if you touch any of it...except the ham. For some reason I was okay with a little ham. I was so grateful last year to be a part of a Thanksgiving dinner where I wasn't sick. We were at a Family Reunion last year, and our Thanksgiving dinner had probably 50 people in attendance and had more of a cafeteria feel to it than a cozy family Thanksgiving. My ideal Thanksgiving is in a home surrounded by food, loved ones and laughter. This year we choose to stay home for Thanksgiving. An extremely smart couple who attends our church asked us back in September if we could watch their cat over Thanksgiving for a week while they went away. It's a good thing they asked so early...because we would have almost certainly made plans to go somewhere ourselves. As it turns out we are really relieved to just stay home and relax. We love getting together with family, and will miss them a lot, but it's just nice to stay home sometimes and enjoy the holiday.
I find that I can also focus more on what I'm thankful for without the hassle of packing, etc. I'm so thankful for my husband. I couldn't have found a better match. I was thinking today about how we've been together for 5 years now and I feel like our love has grown. Sure we have disagreements and arguments. We're normal. But I can't imagine life without him. He's so much more than just a partner or husband. I feel like he's just as much a part of me as our children. I'm grateful to be sealed together for time & eternity. I can't imagine having less. (By the way, Mr. N is wearing a mask in this picture. It's one of those clear masks with facial features drawn on them. M had this mask on and ran up to Mr. N and growled, then pulled it off and said, "Don't worry Daddy, it's just me.")

I'm grateful for a 2-year-old who is so thoughtful and sweet. Saturday Mr. N was building a new roof for one of the bunny hutches and ever time he nailed in a nail M would say, "Oh good job Daddy, you did that all by yourself!!!" (and yeah, she said it with the enthusiasm of 3 exclamation points each time!) She had Mr. N and I laughing each time. And then when we were putting up the Christmas lights outside she kept saying, "Oh, they're so beautiful!" (it sounded more like booty-ful). I love it when M brings me her put together Mrs. Potato Head and asks me to help her put on her poe-poe (said like Edger Allen Poe...that's what we call your bottom). It makes me laugh and smile each time. I'm grateful she says please and thank you, says she's sorry, and comes up to give hugs if one of us looks upset. Sure she's always jumping off the furniture and pushing her sister over...but I'm grateful for that too deep down because she teaches us that life is to be enjoyed and that we all need to learn to be a little kinder.

I'm grateful for a 1-year-old who refuses to be overlooked. She is passionate about everything she does. I'm grateful she is always coming to get me when I walk away so I can read with her or play with her. M is very independent, so I think I wouldn't be as involved if L wasn't there to pull me in. I'm grateful she's so observant...even if it means she made a lunge for the fire alarm again on Sunday when Mr. N was watching her and he had to throw himself across a pew to grab her before she pulled it (really...why do they put fire alarms on the back rows of the pews in the chapel? Don't they know they are right in the reach of little fingers???). I'm grateful L loves to sing and dance. Sometimes I forget I should sing and dance...especially when I don't feel like it. I'm grateful when L squeezes her way onto my lap when I'm on the computer...even when it seriously annoys me...because I really should spend less time on the computer and it is hard to admit that sometimes.
I'm grateful for Thanksgiving and I'm grateful for the Turkey we will be cooking...with all the fixings. I love food. I love eating Thanksgiving dinner until I can't fit anymore and then spending the rest of the day in a comatose state. I can't wait!
Oh, and I'm grateful for surprises. Hopefully I can post more about that later!
(No I'm not pregnant. Not even close. Not trying. Someday yes, but we're serisouly waiting another 3 years or so).

1 comment:
I am dreading traveling for Thanksgiving, because like you, I just would prefer to stay home and not deal with packing and the meal. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
Post a Comment