Thursday, June 18, 2009

Feeding the Ducks


Last week I took the girls up town to feed the ducks (really they are geese...but we call them ducks). I didn't take pictures this past time, but I sure wish I'd taken my camera! The pictures here are from the time before when we went to see the ducks.




This family of geese above (2 parents and 3 babies...there use to be 4) are the normal family of geese we go to see. Occasionally they have tag-alongs. When we went to see them, there were about 15 geese! I was so impressed and thought it would be great for Baby L's first time. Of course I gave her a piece of bread and she sat there and just ate the bread the whole time. She couldn't be bothered with anything else when food was present!
So, M and I were feeding the geese and they were making a real racket. The geese are so protective of their babies, yet they want to eat so they come up hissing and trying to eat at the same time. It's really funny. Well, I guess they were making suck a racket that a huge flock of Canadian geese came to partake of the goods. Seriously, at one point I counted 52 geese! They were everywhere. It was so crowded that we were actually stopping traffic. Then of course M decided to start running at them at full speed and I had to sprint after her to catch her before she hit got to the road. The ducks...I mean geese went berserk and started honking and running for cover. Even Baby L, totally enthralled with her snack took a moment to assess the chaos. After that most of the geese took off. About 25 of them walked across the main road seeking calmer waters and totally stopped traffic for about 3 minutes. After that we decided to take off. We'd had enough craziness for one day, and honestly I think the geese decided we weren't worth a few scraps of bread! We'll go back another day though. Hopefully the geese will let us feed them again!

1 comment:

Eliza said...

52?! That's craziness! I think that would simultaneously fascinate + freak me out :)

Where are you From???