***Warning: I'm venting here so if you don't want to hear it scroll down to a more cheerful post***
I've stayed mostly silent about this pregnancy mainly because I've learned people just don't want to hear how a woman struggles with pregnancy. It's been more the "suffer in silence" road here. I realize too that people really don't get how sick I get. Unless you live here in this house, you wouldn't fully realize. With that said, this pregnancy, initially wasn't quite as severe as the first two...but it was still really nasty. Things were complicated by our insurance company too who would only cover enough Zofran for me to take 1/2 a pill every day. Something else that has come up with this pregnancy that I've never had to deal with before is insomnia. What a nightmare! Anyone who suffers from insomnia on a regular basis has all my sympathy. At night I can sleep maybe 3 hours, and then I just lay there, tossing and turning. Not to mention having to get up every 2 hours of so to eat or puke. Nice. But time passed. At about 11 weeks I started to notice subtle improvements. I was able to sleep better and the nausea wasn't as bad. Being able to sleep again worked wonders. Then miraculously at about 14 weeks I noticed a big improvement. I felt a lot better. The nausea was still there, just more manageable. I had more of an appetite. I was only getting up once or twice a night to eat, which was great. I was so grateful.
A week ago we got home from Virginia (visiting family). I felt weird the day after we got back. M had been sick down there so I knew there was a possibility I was getting sick. Monday it hit. The Flu or some virus...it was terrible. I had a high fever and lots of coughing, nausea and vomiting. I'll be the first to admit that I'm a terrible sick person. I don't handle it very well. I've tried really hard to handle this one better...but I haven't been too great at it. Anyways, I was absolutely miserable. The next day the fever was more low grade, but I still felt terrible and was coughing a lot. The nausea and vomiting were reminiscent of the early days of the pregnancy and I was having difficulty sleeping again. In the wee hours of Wednesday morning I suspected I needed to go to the doctor. I got an afternoon appointment. I was so terrified the doctor was going to tell me there wasn't anything wrong other than a cold and to tough it out. When he told me I had a pretty good case of bronchitis I started to cry out of relief. I was so relieved there was something really wrong because it meant it could be fixed. I got an Rx for Amoxicillin and was told I'd feel like "a new woman in no time." I felt a slight improvement the next day, but that quickly went away and if anything I felt worse. I felt sicker than I'd every felt in any pregnancy. I came to realize that I'd always taken the health of my lungs for granted. Now that my lungs were sick, the effects on my body were drastic. By Sunday (yesterday) I was emotionally and physically exhausted. I started having the sensation that I was drowning when I was lying down...which made sleep (night or day) impossible. I called the doctor hoping against hope that he would tell me something else must be going on and that FINALLY I would get some relief. He was no help. It was basically, "well, we've done what we can, but you're pregnant so..." After that phone call I was devastated. I had truly believed he would have answers for why it was getting worse, not better. I sobbed and sobbed. I called Mr. N (who was at church) and tried to explain what had happened, but I don't think he understood a word I said through the sobs. I was so upset because I just wanted to be able to breath...and I couldn't. At that point I prayed and cried and told Heavenly Father I just felt like I couldn't do it anymore and to please help. I was so beaten. After Mr. N got home we decided to brave the pouring rain and go to the ER and see what they could do. They were wonderful. They ran a bunch of blood work and gave me 3 breathing treatments and an IV. The doctor wasn't impressed with the medication regiment my doctor had given me so he redid that too. He had them pump me full of more amoxicillin and steroids and who knows what else to help boost my system. He sent me home with a stronger antibiotic, a steroid, inhaler, and nebulizer for breathing treatments. It was such a relief to feel like I could breath again. I still can't sleep, but I'm REALLY hoping that lets up too when the bronchitis clears up. I never thought I'd look forward to just being sick from pregnancy.
I know it's annoying that some pregnant women complain and complain...it gets on my nerves too. Just remember that pregnancy, though it is a HUGE blessing, is still very hard. Sometimes it gets the better of all of us.
Anyways, that's the end of my rant. I'm tired and exhausted and drained, but hoping things will turn up here soon. Keep us in your prayers!

7 comments:
Amen, sista! It's hard not to complain as a super sick preggo woman, esp when you feel like everyone hates a pregnant woman who complains. But sometimes, it's totally legit to complain! Esp when your pregnancies keep you flat on your back. Or bent over the porcelain goddess, as it were, as ours do. I hope you get feeling better soon - as an asthmatic and an insomniac, I totally feel your pain! I've found that books on my ipod have been a huge help when I'm tossing and turning - keeps my brain occupied with more than not being able to fall asleep.
I was hoping your lack of posting on the subject meant you weren't experiencing much of that with this pregnancy. I'm so sorry you've had such a rough time. I wish there was some way to make it all easier for you... but you'll definitely be in my prayers!
Um hello you have every right to complain! You have TERRIBLE pregnancies! And bronchitis on top of it! It is so true that you take good health for granted until it's gone. I'm praying things get better for you!
Thanks guys. Your comments really mean a lot. I was really nervous to post this...I've just felt so defeated lately that I finally just posted about it. Kristin - thanks for the advice on insomnia...I'll try it out for sure. I'm going through this pregnancy as if it is my last one...and I'm pretty serious about that. I'm not dumb enough to close the door completely...if we truly feel like we need to have another we will. I'd just rather not think about that possibility. I'd rather leave the big family baby making to those who are healthier while pregnant. Thanks again everyone. I really feel strengthened by your comments.
I'm sorry to hear that you've been sick. I really hope you get feeling better. I pray things get better for you!!
Seriously!!!!
Is there no justice in the world?!?!?! I am so sorry that you have had to go through all of this. Breathing is a really important part of life! ;) I am so mad at that doctor. Glad you were able to get some help, and I so hope that it is all uphill from here. You are in my prayers. And thank you so much for your comment on my blog. I miss you a lot. Oh, and I love hearing pregnant women complain about how hard it is... because it is! I only had to go through extreme sickness for a month, and I can't imagine how you do it all through out! But, your babies are beautiful, I think you are amazing to be willing to sacrifice so much for them.
Love you.
You should never, ever, ever feel bad for writing what you want on YOUR blog. Or for complaining about pregancy. IT SUCKS. Yes, it's amazing and we're blessed to be able to experience having a child in our womb and to give birth, but for some of us, I think the challange is in the pregnancy itself. For others, it's the actual challange. You, missy, have endured some pretty hard pregnancies, and obviously this one is no exception. Please don't ever feel like you're complaining--you're EXPLAINING. Big difference. And I'm a huge complainer, so anyone who even remotely can reach my level (which you haven't come close), is very welcome!
Poor girl! I hope that second treatment will work. I hate dumb doctors. Especially when they treat you as a number, not a person. If you are sick enough to call back, obviously something's not right. :( Hang in there! Wish I could come take some kiddos off your hands.
Post a Comment