| L in the Hotel room. She came up to me and gave me the camera, saying, "I want to say cheese!" |
This has been a crazy week for us. We traveled across the east coast with 2 little girls, lived in a hotel for 3 days (not easy keeping 2 little ones entertained in a single room for hours on end), spent the night in an unfurnished house one night (not fun to sleep on blankets on hard wood floors), and then unpacked like crazy.
| L & Mr. N looking at the scriptures. I can't remember exactly what they were doing. I think Mr. N was reading and L came up and wanted to read with him. |
| M sitting down at the hotel table to color. |
Anyways, on Sunday we went to our new church here in Georgia. Mr. N and I were exhausted. We got there slightly late and snuck in the back, which meant we were sitting on chairs versus the benches in the front. That's all fine and dandy, except that our girls kept pushing the chairs around, which was a little distracting and frustrating. Some reference was made in sacrament meeting to Adam and Eve. I can't remember what exactly...I was listening but also trying to keep the little ones entertained. At that point Mr. N leaned over to me, joking, and said, "I know why the Garden of Eden was a Paradise...there were no children!" We chuckled a little, then I replied that having children is a different kind of paradise, to which Mr. N smiled and agreed.
| The girls and I sitting on our new front porch watching the POD arrive. |
I tell you, in high school I did really well without any real effort. It was kind of a joke to me...I felt like a person just needed a heart beat to graduate. In college I did well with some serious effort. I was proud of myself when I got the good grades...and of course humbled when I didn't. For the most part though I got A's. I wish every day that I was smarter, more patient, more soft spoken, had more problem solving skills, and was more able to think out of the box as a mother. I love my job as a mother and wouldn't change it for anything, but it is the hardest thing I have ever done. Likewise, it is hands down the most fulfilling thing I have ever done.
| Delivering our POD on Saturday. It's arrival was a blessed sight after a night with absolutely no furniture! |
Parenthood is not the kind of paradise that comes with endless relaxation, ease, being served, prepared meals waiting for you at dinnertime... It's more a struggle through a crazy wilderness that doesn't provide a lot of answers or solutions, but it's a wilderness that has the occasional oasis here and there that make it possible to survive and enjoy the experience. One of my favorite times of the day is actually when my children are asleep. Not because they are out of my hair or finally quiet, but because they sleep so peacefully and it becomes so easy to see how each is a gift sent from our Father in Heaven that blesses and enriches our lives and family. It's harder for me to keep that in perspective sometimes, during the craziness of the day. Our wilderness has plenty of fighting over toys, coloring on walls and toys, not listening to mom and dad, spilling food and drinks, etc. But the oasis in our lives make all that worth it. The times when one or the girls comes up and randomly gives a hug saying, "Mom/Dad, I love you so much!", or hearing one of them singing, or when the play nicely together (something I love...it's so fun to listen to their make believe), when we play games together and laugh as a family, or enjoy a dessert together. There really are so many bright moments of joy. I know I'm not always good at seeing them. Sometimes I let myself get bogged down in the wilderness aspect that I miss those moments of sunlight, but I try. We really are so grateful to be parents. Our children may drive us crazy at times, but we are a family, and we would not be complete without each other. It's our Paradise.

5 comments:
Amen! I got a little emotional with this one, because I know what you are saying. Congrats on your move! Glad that is over with.
what a wonderful post! I miss you friend! Parenting is surely a paradise and yes it is hard sometimes but as you said it so worth it:) M. ad L. are so big. I hope you guys will end up in Ut one day again!!!
So glad you arrived safely in Georgia!!! I know you are off to a great new adventure!!
Being a mom is hands down the hardest, most frustrating and yet most rewarding thing I've ever done. I totally understand this post, and the Adam & Eve comment made me laugh pretty hard.
I'm proud of you for doing all you've done while being very pregnant, too. :) Good luck in this last stretch of the pregnancy. You look fantastic!
glad you're finally in the house, I can't imagine just having to be in the hotel with my kids we'd all go nuts!
Post a Comment