Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Head's Up!

I got pregnant with this little guy and from the very get-go I had this fear/paranoia that something would go wrong and I'd end up having a pre-term baby or needing a c-section.  This fear was not without reason, but pretty much things have been fine during this pregnancy.  The same old sick-as-a-dog for the first half...but I've responded a lot better to good old zofran the second half.  I also have Gestational Diabetes this time and my blood pressure went up pretty early (1st trimester) but I have responded really well to taking a baby aspirin every day.  It's like the culmination of all the complications I've had with pregnancy have happened with this pregnancy.  Fun stuff!  Now that I'm in my 3rd trimester I get to have NST's and ultrasounds every 2 weeks to make sure he doesn't get too big, etc.  Considering my biggest baby was 6 lbs 10 oz (my last Gestational Diabetes baby) I think we'll be okay, but then again I've had a harder time keeping my #s right where they should be so maybe he will be bigger.  This past week we found out our little guy is breech.  It's still early enough that he can flip, no problem, but I have to admit I wasn't really surprised.  All my girls were head down by now, so it's not normal for me.  He also seems to have no interest in responding to all the stuff they say to do to get him to flip.  Figures.  He's as stubborn as his dad can be I guess! 
 
I want the baby to flip...and we'll do all we can to encourage him to do so...but for my own sanity I'm preparing myself mentally for a c-section.  That way if it happens it happens...if he flips and things can progress normally I already know what to expect from that.  The only thing about a c-section that would REALLY stink is that my mom already has family commitments in October so she won't be able to be there.  Neither will my mil.  So we're on our own.  I'm not looking forward to a potentially rough recovery without family support.  Maybe I can convince my sister to sell her kids temporarily and come down and help....  :)
 
We thought about maybe switching doctors and attempting a breech birth, but the videos I've seen of breech births seem really brutal for both baby and mom.  One site I was reading as well said that if you are going to have a breech birth, you need to allow your body to go into labor naturally, and not have complications such as GD & hypertension.  Since I have GD and am at risk for hypertension and won't be allowed to go over 40 weeks...that's pretty much 3 strikes against me.  I've never gone into labor on my own.  I've been induced for hypertension at 39 weeks, elected induction at 39 weeks 1 day, and been inducted for hypertension for low fluid levels & a drastic decrease in fetal movement.
 
So why stress!  It will be what it will be and what is most important to us is that our son is delivered safely into this world.
 
So for some reason this time I am really looking forward to deciding what day to induce/deliver.  His date is 10/10...so the earliest we could do it is the 3rd.  Our babies #1 and #3 were born on odd days and #2 was born on an even day...so we could keep with that and have this baby be an even day since he's #4.  My fil's birthday is 10/7 though...so that would be kind of fun too.  Or I could try walking a marathon and see if I manage to deliver on my own!
 
Anyways, welcome to my life of random ramblings.

6 comments:

Kristin Hanson said...

E was the same way but flipped two months before birth. Good luck! Wish I were able to come help you while you recover!

Katherine Ronachert said...

Give birth on your head :p

Mrs. S said...

Yeah that will work! Talk about giving birth against gravity!

Marisa Jean said...

How far along are you, exactly? My last didn't flip until 3 weeks before. My midwife and I were getting a little nervous. Guess she just needed to do things on her own timing. I'll cross my fingers that he'll do the switcharoo soon! Good luck! Wish I was close enough to come help.

Mrs. S said...

I still have about 7 weeks so there's time. All my girls were always head down by now so that's what has me worried really. Maybe it's just because he's a boy and he's a bit slow... :) Just kidding.

Nilla said...

One of the gals that was pregnant the same time as me had a breech baby toward the end of her pregnancy (in the last month). Apparently someone in her ward is a chiropractor or something and said she could put pressure in places that was sure to get the baby to flip after two times going in for that. So she tried it, and the baby flipped! She was already scheduled for a c-section and everything, and the doctor couldn't believe it! Anyway, don't know how reliable that is -- or even if there are others who say they can do it. But I guess there's still hope at least :).

Where are you From???