We have an iPod that, for me, comes in very handy on my morning walks/jogs. It passes the time and keeps my mind busy. When I listen to music on it it's usually one of my favorite Broadway shows (Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables, The Scarlet Pimpernel, The Little Mermaid [I haven't actually seen that one but really like the soundtrack], How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying [With Daniel Radcliffe]). I like to listen to audio books too. My favorite to Listen to is the Harry Potter Series. I also have the Twilight Series on there, but have grown a bit tired of it. Initially I loved the series, but I'm a bit unsure now. When I think about allowing my daughter's to listen to it when they are teens I feel really uneasy. They are quite graphic...in an ungraphic kind of way. Anyways, that's not what I am trying to post about.
Another favorite use of an iPod for me is putting Conference on it. As you can imagine, listening to conference during General Conference can be difficult. There's usually a lot going on, and honestly its hard for little ones to sit and be quite for long periods of time. We usually do good the first session on Saturday...and over each subsequent session attention spans get less and less until we're in a complete upheaval by the Sunday afternoon session. That's why I love putting Conference on the iPod. It gives us time to listen to it away from distractions and children, and really focus on the words. I like reading conference too, but there's just something great about hearing the words spoken. If there's something that really hits me, I then turn to the text and read that talk.
A few days ago I was out jogging and I was at the end of the Priesthood session on the iPod. I was listening to President Monson's talk. I love hearing him speak. It was such an amazing talk. Now I need to give a little back ground. Our girls are quite...spirited. They are extremely determined. They know what they want. Sometimes it can be so frustrating trying to parent strong willed girls. I often found myself thinking, "I know there are easy, compliant children out there, but why aren't they being sent to our family!" That has been a question I have asked many times. Now, back to listening to Conference on the iPod a few days ago. As I was listening to President Monson's talk, he quoted President Benson:
“In all ages, prophets have looked down through the corridors of time to our day. Billions of the deceased and those yet to be born have their eyes on us. Make no mistake about it—you are a marked generation. …
“For nearly six thousand years, God has held you in reserve to make your appearance in the final days before the second coming of the Lord. Some individuals will fall away, but the kingdom of God will remain intact to welcome the return of its Head—even Jesus Christ.
“While this generation will be comparable in wickedness to the days of Noah, when the Lord cleansed the earth by flood, there is a major difference this time: [it is that] God has saved for the final inning some of His strongest … children, who will help bear off the kingdom triumphantly.”
After, specifically, that last paragraph, the impression came, "That's why". That was the answer to the question I have asked over and over again. Heavenly Father needs people who are determined in what they know to be true and right. Consequently those people will start out determined in what they believe as children...even though that determination may make things hard for the parents. Our job is to guide and teach them of Heavenly Father and his gospel and help them become converted. I have no doubt that these little girls will hold firm to the things they know to be true. I have seen too much of their determination to doubt that. Our job is to help them know what is true and how to learn the truth of it for themselves. As parents, understanding helps. It doesn't make the task at hand any easier, but it helps. I am grateful to be a parent. I have seen parents who are just so negative about the struggles of parenting. (I'm sure I've been one of them in them at times). When I read and hear stories from them I feel like my whole being just gets heavy. What good really comes from all the negativity. If you look for negativity, of course that's all you'll see and feel. By no means am I a perfect example, but I really am trying to be more positive about things. Not just be more positive...but become more positive as a person. I really hope our children will know that we choose to be parents and love being parents, even through the sticky situations. It is absolutely hard being a mother, but the Lord needs mothers and fathers who are willing to take up the challenge of parenthood and put the needs of others above their own wants.
And now the baby is crying, which comes as a signal to end this post!

2 comments:
The more I experience Conference, the more I love it. So many of the talks always seem to apply to me. Thanks for sharing these beautiful thoughts :).
Yes. i have often thought this before. The children these days are so "stubborn". And for good reason- to have the strength to resist. So...let us be grateful for our hard-headed children! :)
Post a Comment