Fall seems to have come and go since the beginning of August (also when the acorns started falling here). We get nice autumn days, then it gets hot again. We've been flip-flopping for well over a month now. Hopefully we'll settle into a nice long Fall here soon. Last year we seemed to skip the season all together and that was a bit depressing. About the 2nd week of September I realized that I hadn't taken any pictures of the girls yet in September. It took until yesterday to remedy that. What a loser I've been! There have been plenty of photo opportunities, I've just been too lazy to walk and get the camera.
The girls and I have been working a bit on letters this past month or so. They are pretty good...but I know they could be better if I was more consistent. I'm really not into the "hurried child" thing. When they have started to show interest, we've worked on things. We're learning the alphabet song (we don't know it 100% yet) and we're working on writing their names (a favorite), and recognizing the letters in their names and the letters a-f. I'm not a teacher. I suck at teaching honestly. I'm doing the best I can I guess.
Yesterday we broke out the sidewalk chalk and had fun writing their names and doing body tracing. The girls were beyond thrilled to see their little bodies traced on the drive way. Then they took the different colors and drew in their faces and clothing. I did the eyes to show start them off (they constantly talk about how they have blue eyes and mom and dad have green eyes) It was pretty cute. I think all the colors kept if from looking like body tracings from a crime scene.
Yesterday we also went and picked pumpkins from a local farm. My mom was with us and wanted to get a variety of different kinds...which was really fun. I've always been one to get the traditional pumpkin, but I must say the gourds and odd pumpkins are much cooler! I especially love the gnarly one. You can see it a bit better in the top picture. It looks like it has a skin disorder or something.

2 comments:
I have all these grand ideas and desires to be an awesome school-type teacher to my children but in reality I struggle with it a lot and sometimes. But I like your attitude that you're doing the best you can, I need to remember that as well when I'm being particularly hard on myself.
And I love all the fall squashes and pumpkins... now I totally want to go get some for our little apartment.
You have so many unique-looking squash--for me it's the appearance of the squash that make fall real. Yay for yummy harvested food!
Post a Comment